Lilith

The egg was hatching. The girl, Lilith by name, smiled under the light layer of dirt on her face. She hurriedly grabbed the deer she had just caught, and dragged it over to the nest of animal pelts where the egg rested, shaking slightly. She then glanced around and, not seeing any of her tools, tapped a slow rhythm lightly on the egg shell with her knuckle. The egg stopped shaking and a tap from inside the egg repeated the rhythm she had tapped out. Hearing that, she rapped harder and harder until the eggshell cracked slightly.

"Yes!" she said, quietly and happily. She then whacked it again, causing a chuck of shell to fall into the egg.

She snapped another chunk of shell off, widening the opening enough to let a small head poke out, which pried at the eggshell, pulling bits and pieces away. Soon the egg pieces were scattered around the cave, and a small cream-colored dragon was pouncing on the deer and tearing bits of fur off, which it threw aside, then ripping strips of meat off and swallowing them whole.

Lilith, having nothing else to do, gazed into the distance, not focusing on anything, just thinking about what got her here. About how at 7 years old she discovered the egg, showed it to her parents, who said that she had to give it to them. When she did, her mother grabbed her arms and held them behind her back while her father held it up high in the air.

Lilith remembered screaming at them," What are you doing?!?! Please stop!" But her father didn't respond, and her mother just tightened her grip and whispered, "Trust us, you'll thank us later."

Lilith, filled with fear for the egg's safety and hatred at them for threatening it, lashed out at her mother, kicking her hard in the shin, causing her mother to cry out in pain and release her. She then leapt at her father, whose eyes were widening in surprise and fear, and wrestled the egg from his hands. She then turned tail and fled from the house. She soon reached the forest and, looking over her shoulder, saw that her parents didn't see her, but were calling her name.

She had stared at them, then looked down at the egg, and made her decision. She turned around and continued into the forest, walking by then, and had been holding the egg close. A while later she was back at the cave she had found the egg in, and she carefully pulled the leaves, twigs, and animal skins into a pile. Once she had done so, she set the egg down on the pile, and looked around, investigating all the corners she had ignored when she found the egg. She hadn't find much of anything, just a small pile of rocks.

She spent several hours sharpening these rocks until they could be used later. She then snapped twigs and branches from tress, using them to make small spears. She then made sure that the cave was hidden from sight and went to sleep next to the egg. She learned to hunt, gather, and better hide the cave. 5 years later she had reached 12 years old, and the point where she didn't know if the egg would hatch at all. Yesterday she was so lonely that she wanted to see if her parents were still in the house and, if they were, if they would take her back. But now, the egg had hatched. She wouldn't need to be lonely anymore.