Writing Prompt #17: Zombie

Prompt; https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/j1lv24/wp_the_zombie_apocalypse_has_happened_and_you/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

You know what I hate the most about zombies? The noise. In the dead silence of a fine morning, there's always, even just faintly on the horizon, the growning. The moaning cries of the hungry dead. They never stop. And if they find prey, their moaning turns to wailing. A call to beckon the horde to an easy meal. Mere minutes later, minutes full of screaming and agony, one less survivor roams our streets.

And it's the worst alarm clock. During the night, they sleep. They stand, still as statues, right where they were when the sun set. Their eyes remain open, but their moaning stops. For a few blessed hours, the dead are silent and still. Unless they're provoked. Except for one. Most zombies follow only the fickle whim of instinct, following smell and movement towards future prey. But this one zombie doesn't do that. The first night I saw her, I was suprised. I was about to go out and find a new camp site for tomorrow, but I saw her moving. She moved like a human, crouching and sneaking through the hordes of sleeping dead, but there was no way she could be alive. Not with the whole left half of her torso missing like that. I stayed in my camp that night, and all through the next day. "What harm could it do to stay put for one night?" I thought.But she was there that night as well. And the next. It's been nearly a week. And I'm running low on food. But she's still out there. Stalking around the building, sniffing the doors. All in silence. She makes not a sound. She vanishes when the sun rises, but every night, she sneaks back into sight, her quiet hunt unyeilding. Looking up at where I sit on the roof, her rotting face pointed directly at my position every single night. I can't stand it much longer. One way or another, this will have to end. I only have one bullet left. At least I won't hear the noise anymore.