The Hunted Ones{original}

A/N: These characters were given to me by a friend, whom I have dedicated this chapter to. Enjoy!

                Amnesia awoke to the prick of a syringe between their shoulder blades. They stared blearily out of the cage, watching as the scientist prepared a knife for an operation. They sighed. The thick liquid from the IV needle was already starting to spread through their system. There was a lot of the anesthetic in this solution.

As they lay there another scientist, clad in the same flowing coat, walked in, dragging a child by the hand. Amnesia watched the small child with vague curiosity, seeing her long sinewy tail emerging from all-white clothing, the big fluffy gray cat's ears mostly hidden in a mass of red hair, and the face. Faces? The child's face was marred by an ugly red scar running down the middle of it, splitting it in half, and each half had a different expression. One half, with a blue-green eye, wore an expression of disgust and pompous disdain. The other half, with a light green eye, looked child-like and fearful. Terrified, in fact.

"This will not be fun. Not at all. And this poor child will likely have to watch." They thought wearily. They watched through half-lidded eyes as one scientist stepped towards the cage, murmuring gibberish words. They lay their head down, closing their eyes and folding their wings close to their sides in anticipation of the pain that would come. It always did. With the first stroke of the knife across the back of their neck they arched their back and screeched in pain. There was not enough anesthetic running through their veins. It hadn't helped at all.

When the scientist pulled the knife away, Amnesia lay still and panting on the cold concrete floor of their cage. They were staring at nothing, but the child, who had been shunted into a cage across the room, was staring straight at them. The child, whose name was Feline, was horrified by the blood pouring down Amnesia's neck and chest, but could not look away. Her tail twitched and curled around the cage, not stopping for a moment. The two sides of her face, for once, shared the same expression of horrified fascination. Her cat ears were flat, almost as though they wanted to merge with the thick red locks on the child's head.

When Amnesia adjusted to the pain, their gaze focused on the child. The poor thing. They had been born here, a test tube abomination made as a test subject. They weren't a human, weren't even an animal, technically. Just a strange mish-mash of wings, feet, horns, and eyes. But the child. The child was still young. Probably had had a life as a human before being kidnapped or abandoned. At which point the scientist had taken her. Experimented on her. Sewing new ears into her flesh and her neurons. Ripping off half her face and replacing it with a half that had a mind of its own. Tearing into her back and inserting a tail made of new flesh and new bone. Amnesia knew how much it hurt to be changed in ways no one should experience. To feel a needle pulling your skin back together around flesh that had not been there before.

Amnesia blinked slowly at the child, and watched as a single tear dripped down the child-like half of her face. The poor child. She didn't deserve this. She should be at home, playing with her family. Free of all her strange additions. Free to be free. And yet, she was here. Alone. Sad. Haunted by horror and tragedy that she should never have experienced.

Before he left, the scientist gave Amnesia a small basin of water and a washcloth, then stalked out, writing on his clipboard and locking the door behind him. Amnesia drank as much water as they could, then attempted to clean off the blood from their new scar. They watched the little child, recognizing the blank stare of her thinking hard.