Writing Prompt #26: Vampiric Vitamins

https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/jnwe9c/wp_vampires_have_discovered_taking_multivitamins/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

In a dark room, there sat a tall, thin man. He has had many names. But the one he goes by this era is Earl Harrison.  He sits at a table, with only a tall glass of dark red liquid by his side, contemplating. He sips the drink slowly, savoring it, when suddenly there's a ringing.

Earl sighs, then pulls his mobile from his pocket. He gives the phone a look. The caller id reads simply, "Duke Johnson". He answers the phone.

"What do you want this time, Duke?" Earl groans, leaning back in his chair.

"Listen, Earl. You remember how I'd always planned to find a way to survive without humans?" Duke sounds chipper, excited, even.

Earl sighs again, and lays his head on the table. "Is this about another one of your hare-brained schemes?"

"They aren't hare-brained!" Duke complains. "The one with rats almost worked!"

"Yea." Earl murmured. "Almost being the operative word."

Duke ignored Earl's quip. "Well, listen. I think I've hit the jackpot. I'm outside, let me in." Then as quickly as the call started, Duke hung up.

Earl sighed for the third time. "Why is it always me?" He griped. "It's not like I'm his only friend." He pushed away from the table, and stood. "I'm the only one he bothers with this shit." He grumbled while walking to his door.

He waved his hand and the door swung open, revealing another man, this one short and stocky, his face beaming. He was holding a shopping bag. "Earl! My friend! Invite me in, won't you? We have lots to talk about."

Earl shook his head. "Alright, Duke. Come on in."

Duke seemed to be boiling over with energy as he entered, Earl noted. It was infectious.

Duke ran over to the table and emptied the bag onto the table, making a table clatter and dropping at least half of the contents ont the floor.

"Aw damn." Duke grumbled. But he immediately grinned at Earl. "Now listen. I found a section in the supermarket, yeah? It just has these bottles of pills."

Earl picked up a bottle that rolled over to him and raised an eyebrow. ""Flintstones multivitamins"?" He read aloud.

"Yeah!" Duke agreed excitedly. "I dunno what the hell's in them, but I haven't drank blood in the past three months!"

Earl stared at Duke, then looked back at the bottle. "Impossible. You'd be dead."

"Do I look dead to you?" Duke shot back. Then he paused. "More dead than usual?" He clarified.

Earl looked Duke up and down. "No." He replied finally. "You look more alive than you've ever been."

"Try them, Earl! You can't understand until you've tried them!" Duke insisted, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

Earl looked back at the bottle, then popped it open. It sure smelled like pills. But there was. . . An edge to it. Something. . . More. He picked one of the vitamins from the bottle, and sniffed it. He couldn't place the smell. Finally, he stuck it in his mouth.

It felt like he'd stuck his tongue in an electrical socket. He was reeling from the power that filled him.

"I haven't felt this strong since 1265." Earl breathed. "Where did you buy these? We need to show everyone. "