Writing Prompt #25: Duke Harrows

https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/jjd5cf/wp_you_are_a_powerful_lord_with_many_enemies_who/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

"You're sure this is The Hunter's abode?" The lord asked, glaring mistrustfully at the abandoned rotting cabin.

"Yes, sir. Jobs left here for The Hunter are always completed." One of his bodyguards replied.

The other one stepped towards the cabin, and, after trying the knob, found it unlocked.

"It's unlocked, sir."

"Ah, good. Get out of the way." The lord strode forward, pushing the bodyguards aside, and slammed the door open.

He was greeted by a room, mostly empty, except for a massive brown hunting dog standing in front of a door across the room.

"Nice doggy." He whispered, shaking with fear. "I'm just here to see your master, ok? No harm done. . ." He started to take a step forward, and the hound immediately responded, by snarling and snapping its teeth.

The lord stumbled back, bumping into his entourage, and held up his hands placatingly. "Good dog, nice dog.  No entering your room, got it."

The hound's jaw relaxed, and they returned to the staring match.

The lord and his bodyguards glanced at eachother. The man to his left shrugged, and the lord began to talk to the dog. "You're a good boy, aren't you? Smart boy. Can you get your master?"

The hound didn't move, it remained in the corner of the room, its eyes narrowed and flicking between the lord and his staff.

"Maybe you should just throw the gold in?" One of the bodyguards muttered.

"I'm not just going to throw it in there! This is 3,000 gold pieces! I'm not going to trust some random mutt with that much money!" The lord whispered back, glancing at the dog as he spoke.

The dog's ears pricked, and it's head turned to the door. The lord and his staff froze mid conversation, and they startled as the dog let out two short barks, then pushed it's way through the door.

With the frightening hound gone, the three men relaxed, and the lord took a hesitant step into the cabin. When the dog didn't immediately return and rip his face off, he took another step forward.

The lord was about to take a third step when the door opened, letting in a tall human figure, swathed head to toe in dark gray fabrics. The person held a crossbow loosely in their left hand, and the hound trotted at their right side. Their face was hidden in shadows cast by their hood.

"What business do you have with The Hunter?" The person growled, their voice booming through the room, sending shivers down the lord's spine.

"I- I have a j-job for you, Hunter, s-sir." The lord stuttered.

"Target?" The Hunter asked, their voice quieter, but no less threatening.

"D-duke Harrows, Hunter, sir." The lord answered. "I w-want him dead as s-soon as possible."

The Hunter was silent for a long moment,  before reaching down and scratching their dog's head gently. Then he let out a dark chuckle. "5,000." They said, finally.

The lord started. "I- I don't have that much!"

The Hunter turned to leave the room, and the lord panicked. "W-wait!"

The Hunter turned their head, waiting.

The lord hesitated, then pulled another bag from his cloak. "I'll g-give you 3,000, and all my family's jewelry to see the duke d-dead."

The Hunter was again silent for a long time, then they patted their hound's side, and muttered something the lord could not catch.

The dog moved forward, stopping in front of the lord. "Give him the jewelry." The Hunter ordered.

The lord hesitated, looking from the dog to it's master. Then he gingerly held the bag out towards the dog, which snatched it up, then returned to The Hunter.

The Hunter took the bag from their dog, and drew out the tangled mass of golden chains and sparkling jewels.  "It's all I have." The lord whispered.

The Hunter nodded slowly. "I accept your payment. Drop the gold, and leave this place. I will complete your contract within the week. "

The lord  dropped the gold onto the rotten plank floor, then fled to his horses and rode away.

The Hunter stood silently in the room for a long time, then let out a hollow chuckle. "Ah, well. It was time for us to move on soon anyway, right, "Duke Harrows"?"

The hound began the change, the fur melting away to reveal a brown-haired man dressed in fancy silks. "Perhaps you're right. We knew it would come time for persona to fight persona eventually. Who would've thought it would be this soon?"

The Hunter laughed lowly, and then changed shape as well, taking on the form of a muscled black horse, which "Duke Harrows" mounted with little effort.

"Gee-up, Lira. We have much to do. After all." The man grinned wolfyishly. "I believe the duke deserves to go out with a bang."