Chapter 1

We are at the Mellark’s wedding. I catch Tobias’s eye across the church and he smiles. He’s wearing a suit for the first time, very different to his usual Dauntless gear. I guess that I look different too, in a floor-length forest green dress, clutching a bunch of delicate primroses. Everyone looks amazing, but it’s Katniss who looks utterly breathtaking. She’s wearing a gorgeous pearly white dress that her friend Cinna designed before he died. It shimmers ever so slightly as she moves, giving her a magical aura. Her old prep team weep loudly at the back of the church and Katniss grins at them fondly.

Almost immediately, though, her eyes flick back to Peeta, who’s smiling at her. He picks the primrose from his lapel and puts it in her hair, behind her ear.

“You’ll love me forever, real or not real?” Katniss asks

“Real.” Peeta answers “Always real.”

He kisses her gently; their hands entwined between them and the vicar steps forward.

“Peeta Mellark, do you take Katniss Everdeen to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

Peeta smiles, “I do.”

The vicar turns to Katniss.

“Katniss Everdeen, do you take Peeta Mellark to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

“I –“

But we never get to hear if she does or not, as just then the wall opens up in a swirling circle. A man with spiky hair, thick eyeliner and sparking hands leaps through.

“Step back!” He says loudly “NOW!”

I jump back, dragging Katniss with me, just as a huge slithering monster erupts out of the whirling hole in the wall. It opens its mouth and makes a screaming sound so piercing and high-pitched; I clamp my hands over my ears. The creature then lurches forward and as it drops to the floor, face-down, I see the glittery, glassy blade protruding from its back. An auburn-haired girl steps casually out from behind the fallen monster and yanks the blade from the ground, where it lies, inches from Peeta’s foot. His mouth hangs open in shock.

A blonde boy and black-haired boy and girl step out of the wall.

“Oh! Great job, Clary!” The blonde boy says, his hair and eyes glinting golden. “That was a good kill.”

The auburn-haired girl – Clary – laughs, as the collapsed beast disappears, leaving behind a pool of black, gooey blood.

“Thanks Jace!” She grins, wiping her blade off on and leaving streaks of black blood on her jeans.

They all flick their gazes to us. The blonde boy – Jace – looks at Katniss’s dress and then around the room.

“Oh, I think we just crashed a wedding.” He says, as if he couldn’t care less.