Chapter 6

After half an hour of strained, random small talk, Alec and Magnus both return. They both look heartbroken and fuming at the same time. They sit at opposite sides of the room and Alec keeps his eyes fixed on an apparently fascinating area of the floor.

“So…” Clary says awkwardly.

Just then there is a harsh laugh. A woman who looks terrifyingly like stands in the middle of the room.

“Mom!” Clary shouts, jumping up. “What is it?”

“Clary!” Clary’s mum starts but she is cut off.

A menacing figure appears behind her and picks up a knife, holding it to the woman’s hand.

“Hey Clary.” The boy says casually. “How are things?”

Clary makes a sound remarkably like a growl. This growl also happens to sound more than slightly like a swear word.

“Language, little sis!” The boy says.

Wait… is that Clary’s brother?

The boy holds up Clary’s mum’s hand.

“I want a wish from an angel. And you’ve summoned one twice. Do it or else.” Clary’s brother warns.

“Or else what, Sebastian?” Clary asks. She seems remarkably calm but she’s shaking, and very pale.

“Or this knife might just slip and..” Sebastian cuts Clary’s mum’s hand. “Oops!”

“MOM!” calls Clary

“And that could be serious, especially if she got stabbed here.” He says, resting the tip of the blade her stomach. “It wouldn’t be on purpose of course but…” Sebastian stops and shifts his free hand to her throat. “…accidents happen.”

Clary screams

“MOM! MOMMY!” She runs for the hologram but it crackles and disappears before her as her fingers brush the image.

“Mom?” Clary whispers, as Izzy stands up and puts an arm around her.