Chapter 24

It’s Tris, back from the dead! I’m kidding!

It’s been a crazy year. Somehow, finding out about Edith Prior, doesn’t seem quite such a big deal any more. Not after meeting the Victors, the Shadowhunters.  And, just for the record, I obviously didn’t break up with Tobias. Yes, I heard everything he was saying while I was in the Institute infirmary.

Sometimes, I heard Cinna or Finnick come over from where they were recovering across the room. Other times, Katniss and Peeta came and tried to coax Tobias away, to no avail. On the whole the Shadowhunters left me alone, but more often than not, my visitor was Alec. He wouldn’t say anything until he got up to leave. Then he’d whisper “thank you”, and go.

I woke up to the sound of Tobias’s soothing voice. He was crying. I couldn’t bear to see him like that, couldn’t bear to let him believe I was dying, so I shut my eyes tight again and slept.

A day or two later I woke up properly and the first words I heard were Alec’s whispered thanks.

“You’re welcome.” I croaked and Alec jumped about a foot in the air.

“Tobias! Come here!” Alec called to Tobias, who was sitting in a chair across the room, his head in his hands.

He ran over when he heard Alec and threw his arms around me. I coughed weakly and my stomach burned with the pain of the stab wound. Magnus came in and gently kissed my cheek.

“Hello, sleeping beauty.” He smiled, and Alec laughed, pushing a lock of hair back. That’s when I noticed it.

“What’s that?” I asked hoarsely, pointing to Alec’s hand.

“Oh,” Alec said, blushing and twisting the chunky silver ring around his finger. “thanks, Magnus bought it me.”

“It’s pretty.” I whispered.

“Engagement rings have to be.” Magnus smiled, lacing his fingers in Alec’s.

“You’re engaged?” I gasped

“Yes.” Magnus said “Because you don’t have forever to love with that heart.”

“Or eternity to live with a broken one.” Alec finished, squeezing Magnus’s hand.

“You most certainly don’t.” Tobias smiled, and leaned his forehead against mine.

“So don’t break my heart, Tobias Eaton.” I whispered, stroking his cheek, my hand weak and shaky.

“I won’t.” He promised, laying his hand on mine, steadying it, like he steadies me.