Chapter 23

Hey, it’s Tobias. I’m gonna try and keep Tris’s story going. She’d want you to know what happened. About a week ago we found her curled up on the sidewalk, her stomach bleeding horribly and a trickle of scarlet coming from her mouth. It’s lucky she didn’t bleed to death that night, or die of hyperthermia. She didn’t though. She stayed alive. ‘Cos she’s strong.

She’s alive now. She won’t wake up, but she’s still breathing. She will wake up, though. I know she will. And that’s why I’m sat here now, by her bed, for the seventh day running. Holding her hand and willing her to wake up.

Oh Tris. I’m sorry. I was too protective. But I didn’t protect you that night, did I? I was an awful boyfriend. If you wake up, you can break up with me. It would break my heart, but I wouldn’t mind. You’d be awake. I wouldn’t stop you. I love you so much Tris. Please, please wake up. Please.

The others keep coming in. Telling me to sleep, eat, let go of your hand. I won’t. I promise I’ll stay here until you wake up. I promise. I love you Tris.

I lean down and put my head next to hers on the pillow, feeling her feeble, shaky breaths. I can smell her familiar, sweet scent, now mixed with an antiseptic smell of the Insitute infirmary. I stroke her hair and pretend she’s just sleeping. She’ll open her eyes any second now. I’m sure of it. I feel my face crumple and turn my face into her pillow. I cry, letting a dark circle of tears stain her pillow by her head.

“Don’t cry, Tobias.” A croaky, almost inaudible voice whispers in my ear.

I turn over and see Tris, her bright blue eyes cloudy with sleep and illness. Then her eyes flutter shut and her head lolls to the side. I laugh, though it’s a shaky laugh that’s salty with tears.

“Okay, Tris.” I smile and her lips twitch up slightly before she relaxes back into sleep.