Chapter 4

We enter a large library. Suddenly, I’m very aware of the fact that Peeta, Katniss, Tobias and I look extremely out of place, in floor-length dresses, suits and veils. Jace and Clary sit together on a sofa and the dark-haired girl is sprawled elegantly on a chair. Magnus sits alone on a loveseat and Alec flicks his eyes over. He blushes deep red and perches on the edge of the other girl’s chair.

“Hello,” The girl says now “I’m Isabelle. This is-“

I cut her off

“We know everyone else’s name. I’m Tris; this is Tobias, Peeta and Katniss.”

Jace looks us up and down in amusement.

“A little overdressed, don’t you think?” He drawls sarcastically

I cross my arms and Magnus stands. He walks over to Katniss, his eyes scanning her wedding dress critically.

“Katniss,” He says thoughtfully “I’m sorry, but this shape of dress does not emphasise your pretty jewellery properly. This should be a Sweetheart neckline, not a Queen Anne.”

Katniss scowls

“Shut up. My friend designed this and now he’s dead. So you can keep your opinions to yourself.”

Magnus holds his hands up in surrender.

“Sorry. It’s beautiful. I love the shimmer. Twirl for me?” He asks

Katniss sighs, but turns slowly in a circle.

“Now I’ve finished looking stupid-“ Katniss begins

“You’d better damn explain.” Tobias finishes

“Okay. Promise you’ll believe us?” Clary asks

“Yes. We promise.” Peeta says quietly

“Okay. Here goes!” Isabelle begins.

And that’s how we ended up in here, sat in the Institute library, stunned into silence by the explanation of the Downworld.

My mouth hangs open in shock. Isabelle clicks over in her 9-inch heels and gently puts her hand under my chin. She shuts my mouth and smiles.

“Close your mouth. You don’t look attractive when you gawp.” She says, her voice bittersweet.