Chapter 21

Half an hour later I knock on an apartment door across town with Alec, who is freaking out.

“What if he’s out? What if he’s asleep? What if…”

“Alec?” I say

“Yeah?”

“Shut up.” I say sweetly

I knock again, louder this time, and Magnus opens the door. His glittery eyeliner is smudged around his cat-like eyes. They also look very red, like Alec’s. He’s been crying. Magnus rubs his eyes, further smudging his makeup. He looks startled to see us. To be fair to him, it is one in the morning.

“Tris, Alexander…” He says, confused

“Hey!” I say, shoving Alec forward. “Go ahead; tell him what you told me.”

Alec stares at Magnus for so long that I have to cough to get him out of his little dream.

“Urm, Magnus?” Alec says, nervously

“Alexander?” Magnus asks, puzzled. “What’s going on?”

“I’m in love with you. I love you more than I’ve ever loved anyone. I trust you more than I’ve ever trusted anyone, and…” Alec’s voice cracks and I watch, agonised, as he tries to fight his tears, which threaten to spill over. “And I miss you; more than I’ve ever missed, or will ever miss, anyone. Anything.”

One tiny, perfect tear rolls down Magnus’s cheek.

“Don’t cry.”Alec whispers, though tears are shining in his own eyes. “Don’t cry, I’ll go.”

“Don’t you dare.” Magnus says, pulling Alec towards him and running his fingers through Alec’s dark hair. “Don’t you dare go anywhere.”

I back slowly away as Alec puts his arms around Magnus’s neck and kisses him in the fading light.