Chapter 13

“Do you hear that?” Tobias asks

“Yeah, it sounds like…crying.” I reply

“It could be a trap.” reasons Jace

“Yes,” Clary says “but it could be my mom.”

Magnus nods, “It could.”

Jace sighs and kisses Clary gently on the cheek. Then he takes her hand and says, “Come on then, let’s take that risk.”

Tobias slips his hand into mine. Alec and Magnus both look down sadly at their hands, which remain forlornly by their sides. They sigh, look at each other and blush furiously. Alec stuffs his hand in his pocket and Magnus busies himself with fixing his scarf.

We walk along in the pitch-black. It’s creepy and Jace pulls a rock from his pocket. Its illumination startles me and the light’s blue hue makes the abandoned substation look even eerier. As we turn a corner, Jace stops and I walk into the back of him.

“By. The. Angel.” Clary groans and Tobias puts an arm around me protectively.

“Welcome to my humble abode.” A chilling voice purrs.

“Sebastian.” Jace snarls

“Jonathan. We meet again.” Sebastian smirks, stepping out of the shadows and into the pool of light given off by Jace’s stone. He’s tall with white-silver hair and pale skin. His mouth is stretched into a grimace. “Hello, my dear brother.”

And that’s when Jace lunges for Sebastian’s throat.