Chapter 15: The Forbidden Law

Chapter 15
The Forbidden Law

 Body still trembling, heart beating faster than ever as Marcus places a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it lightly. The action makes me flinch. I'm not used to Marcus being nice and not aggressive. It's so alien to me. He's so alien to me.

Karma has hit them hard, I guess.

"Please, Kieran." He whispers, his tone almost pleading, begging me to believe him. What's worst is, I do believe him. Somehow, somewhat, what he's saying to me, I believe him. I need to know what's happening. Marcus mentioned something about my wolf, and it's very important according to him. What could it be?

Looking at him straight in the eyes, I gulp and pray to God to guide me once I make a deal with this devil in front of me. "Okay, but let's make a deal here," I say to him in a serious tone, though my voice is still wobbly and weak, above a whisper. He nods at me and leans down, ready to listen to my proposal. "You need to tell me first what's going on before I go with you."

For a moment, his face goes blank, then it turns into a thoughtful look, as if thinking what are the pros and cons if he accepts my request. He looks at me momentarily, sighs and then nods. I'm starting to regret the decision I made. Not even five minutes have passed, but it feels like I'm going to regret this sooner or later. Very soon.

"If we're going to talk about this important topic now, we need to be in an isolated area," he says, sighing, rubbing his hands across his face, as if this is stressing him out. Well, this is stressing me, too. More than he could ever know. I look at him incredulously, as if I've lost my hand. He impatiently taps the ground with his left foot and scowls. "Look, we can't talk about it in public. We need to talk this in a safe place. Away from people."

"Then I know a place," I say to him.

I can't believe I ditched school just to be with this moron. I can almost imagine Mom scolding me for ditching school. We're not allowed to do that. Everyone is not allowed to do that. There was this one time when Dave ditched school just to be with his friend and Mom got mad at him and Dave was grounded for a week. Good thing that Mom did not confiscate Dave's phone and laptop, but still, he was not allowed to go outside and hangout with his friends. It was so boring according to him. Considering he doesn't use his phone and laptop often. These past few days are an exception. He's been on his phone more often.

Motioning Marcus to take a seat on the white sofa in the living room, his eyes roam around the house, nodding to himself. The house is pretty big if you ask me. Since only three members are living in this house, we already consider this house as a mansion. There are four rooms, with each bathroom in each room. Walls are painted beige color, picture frames either pinned or hung on the wall. On the side of the sofa is a desk with a drawer, on top of it are also picture frames, but with a flower vase behind. A plasma TV facing the sofa to entertain the guests. I offer to turn on the television but Marcus declines, so I offer a drink instead and he says water would be good. I head into the kitchen to grab a glass of water for Marcus and I prepare myself for the talk we're going to have. I need to prepare myself for the revelations that he's going to tell me. Once I get a glass of water, I head back into the living room, where I find him still sitting on the sofa, looking deep in thought as he looks in the distance. I clear my throat and his head snaps into my direction. He gives me a faint smile and I give him the glass of water and he chugs it down in one go. I take a seat beside him and the silence is so deafening. You could cut the tension in the air, awkwardness lingering as well. Nobody is speaking, and it's making everything more awkward that it is now. I clear my throat and he moves awkwardly, seeming uncomfortable all of a sudden. Deciding that I should end this as soon as possible, so I tell him to go on and start talking.

"Um," he begins in an awkward state, looking anywhere but me. "How do I start this?" He clasps his hands and places his elbows on his knees, leaning down and thinking how to start the topic.

"Is it related to the Forbidden Law?" I ask him, arching a brow at him as I cross my arms over my chest, watching him look at me.

He nods, taking a deep breath. "It is,"

"What about it?"

He looks around the room, as if afraid that someone might be listening to the conversation we're having. I want to spit out, just fucking tell me, idiot, but I fight myself against it. He looks at me straight in the eyes, scooting closer and sighing. My heart picks up speed, getting afraid of him suddenly. He notices it, moves away, and mutters a sorry.

Silence. Then he speaks.

"After the Great Alpha rejected you," he says carefully at me, not being able to look at me in the eyes as he begins to explain everything. "Something happened, and we believed that you broke the Forbidden Law. The elders came to us, and explained something important to us." I gulp, waiting for him to continue his explanation, to elaborate it further. "At first, we thought that the Forbidden Law was just a tale that started from our ancestors, but we were wrong. The elders told us that someone had broken the law, and it unleashed something. Darkness.

"According to the elders, the last time someone broke the law was a millennium ago, and the history would just repeat itself if someone broke the law again. And it was you, Kieran. It was you who broke the law."

As Marcus explains it to me, I get scared, not from him, but to myself. I feel like I'm a monster for doing such thing. And him telling me that it unleashed something powerful causes me to be nervous, to be dizzy, to be afraid of everything. So what does it mean? What happens next? Why is this being brought up? What do they want me to do? What act should I do?

"Rogues have become much stronger and more aggressive than ever," he continues, not breaking the eye contact. "Breaking the Forbidden Law unleashes something. And now, they are being captured one by one. The Spirit Wolves. And it includes Furion. We don't know what they want about the Spirit Wolves, but we need your help on finding these. According to the elders, the only persons that can help us are the ones who broke the law. As soon as we found out about that, after your conversion, we tried to look for you, everywhere, but we couldn't find you, and one day, we just got notified about you coming back in America. We later found out that you were in United Kingdom.

"You're probably wondering why we're here in Wisconsin. There was an ambush happened in Michigan. Like I said, the Rogues have become stronger. They attacked us. Somehow we got lost and decided to migrate here, in Wisconsin. We have allied with the other Packs, and we're as one.

"We're trying to look for you because we want you to help us find your wolf, Furion. What they need right now is Furion. Believe it or not, your wolf is above stronger than what you thought he was. Plus, he's the mate of the Great Alpha! They need his power. They are after Furion, and we must hurry before they catch your wolf. Forever we will regret what we've done to you. You were part of the pack, but we treated you badly. We shouldn't have done that when we were supposed to be your family. I want you to know that the Great Alpha Cloud was, and is still, suffering. He cries himself to sleep every night. We can hear it. He blames himself for everything. The reason why we got lost. He's always so distant. Sometimes, he gets paranoid, telling him that you and Furion are in danger."

Hearing him tell me about Cloud is enough to make my blood boil, but there's a part - a huge part of me - of me that feels sorrow and pain, knowing that he suffered great as I did before, knowing that he's still suffering. But he rejected me. He was the cause of it. He's the cause of everything. If it the rejection had not happened, then this might not have happened at all.

Blaming it all to Cloud when everything is actually my fault. Maybe because it's a way for me to think that he's not worthy of my help, or that I'm just giving myself a valid reason to not see him or forgive him.

But as what Marcus told me, Furion needs me more than the Great Alpha.