Chapter 21: The Pack Land

Chapter 21
The Pack Land

 It takes fifteen minutes for us to go back to the Pack Land, and once we get there, people are scattered but looking at one direction; to us. Dave is standing straight, dumbfounded, arched brow and parted lips. I nearly laugh at how ridiculous he looks. I notice the bandage wrapped around my arm is now loose. Better call Beige later so she can fix it for me. I run towards the direction of my brother and knock him on the ground, making him groan, but he laughs nonetheless.

Someone growls and I shrink back in fear.

When I look up, my eyes widen, mind processing million thoughts.

In front of me is no other than Perry Dames.

But it's not that that shocks me, it's because how he growls, as if he's being possessive, as if he's jealous. To whom? That question dreads me. He growled not because he hated me, but because he's jealous. My eyes connect with his, and just I thought my eyes wouldn't get wider, it does. Once I regain myself, a thought comes popping up inside my head, flashing brightly with lots of neon lights around it.

Ean Davidson "Dave" Coffler is Perry Dames's one and only mate.

No. The word comes out in a croak, and my brother has to look at me worriedly again. I shake my head in disbelief. This can't be. It can't be. Perry Dames hates everyone except the Alpha and his friends. I'm afraid my brother would end up like me, a mess and hopeless, and I don't want that to happen. The fate is cruel, even the Goddess herself. How could she choose a mortal mate for a werewolf like Perry Dames? Clearly, my brother deserves better and he's hella straight. He has been interested on girls and big breasts and big butts since he was born, until he understood the world since he turned 6 or probably even 4. He has never set eyes to guys or any man. He appreciates the beauty of a man, but he doesn't think that he'd be together with a man.

But for all I know, the pull of love is strong. Eventually, sooner or later, Dave would realize that he has feelings for Perry. I wonder if he feels it now he's around him. Dave and I stand up, him brushing the dust off as he continues to laugh and Perry looks at him with curious eyes. Cloud is behind me, now dressed in a black shirt that defines the muscles and curves of his body, especially his long arms. A pair of cream colored shorts and a pair of black and green Vans shoes. He's looking at Perry, scrutinizing him and his eyes turn on me, sending shivers down my spin. Those chestnut eyes are breathtaking. Fuck. I look away, as quickly as possible, before he gets any idea that I like to look at his eyes, which I don't want to do at all. Considering I'm having a problem about dealing with him.

"When will we go home?" asks Dave as he looks between Cloud and Perry. Perry takes a step forward, about to reach for Dave's hand, but stops himself as he soon as he realizes what he's about to do. Cloud shakes his head to Perry, as if to say he's not ready yet, or just don't. "Mom's probably worried sick to us right now. We never even called."

"No need to worry 'bout that," a voice intrudes, a familiar one, and when I take a look behind Cloud, I realize the voice belongs to no other than Marcus, who's grinning side to side, walking in our direction. Once he reaches us, he salutes Cloud and looks at Dave and I. "I might have taken your little problem. I've already talked to your mom, said you guys had a little project to do over your classmate's house. She believed it." He wiggles his brows suggestively, amused at what he has done. Lying to my mother is the worst, ever. I fight the urge to roll my eyes at his dumbness. I'm still scared of him. Duh.

Marcus gives Perry and Cloud a man hug, the one that you put your shoulder to the other guy's shoulder and then followed by a pat on the back, which is a bit weird to me. But then again, nobody does that to me, even my brother. We don't really do that. If we want to hug a person, we just hug a person, arms wrapped around either the neck or waist. I'm a bit curious why this man hug was invented in the first place. Who discovered it? It could be an old person, a part of a notorious gang, who was living in circa 1800 and accidentally gave another man a hug that way, thus discovering man hug. That's my theory anyway.

"Marcus, what are you doing here?" Cloud asks. "I thought you were at your sister's house at Nevermore Pack Land?"

"Nah, I got bored," he says, shrugging, as if it's the best answer he could give. "Plus, I miss my bros. And now, I get to hangout with my new bros, Dave and Kieran!" Marcus slings his arm over my shoulder, as if we're so close, as if we have been best of friends since childhood. Not really. Not at all. I can tell you a million reasons and scenarios why he wasn't my friend at all since we were children. Ever since I was born. So Marcus being jolly and all, it's pretty new to me. It feels like he cares for me. Not really. He cares about the Spirit Wolves.

"They are not your friends, Marc." Perry states.

"Barely," I counter, grinning. I put my arm over his shoulder (though I tried since he's really tall!)

"Wait, you know these people, Kieran?" Dave asks in, confused all of a sudden.

I don't look him in the eyes while I answer the question. A part of me is afraid to admit that I know them ever since I was a kid. Perry, Marcus, and Cloud all look at me with sad eyes, and I hate to see it. I look around the people around us. Some of them I recognize when I was in the Blue Sky Pack. In their eyes, they have regrets. I clench my hand, and nod at my brother. "Woah, so... what happened? I thought... I thought... nevermind."

Dave is dying to know more, but he let it go. Good. I don't like to tell the stories or explain myself. But knowing him, sooner or later, he'd ask me, and if I don't tell him, he would bug me until I cave. He frowns, scrunching his nose up a bit, and Perry's lips twitch. The pull, so strong.

"We should go," I state, grabbing Dave by the hand and tugging him. "Mom would kill us if we didn't get home tonight." That's true. Even though Mom is a laid back person, she could be a scary person if you want to. She has dark side as well. Everyone has. Last time I checked, I got angry at Cloud. I guess that's my dark side.

Dave walks over to Perry and scratches his neck nervously. The pull, so strong.

"Well," Dave begins. I can see Perry's hands clenching and unclenching, trying to not kiss my brother, "uh, thanks for saving me, uh, us, I guess." Perry shrugs, trying to keep his cool, but we all see how he's struggling to keep my brother here, around him. But he knows it's a no-no situation. Dave doesn't know our kind, or rather, their kind. He's not prepared to know about werewolves and such creatures.

In our world, a lot of creatures exist. Werewolves. Vampires. Pixies. Magicians and more. Every creature has a role to fulfill. Werewolves were created by the Goddess to protect the nature, the wilderness, but sadly, Rogues happened. War has been a problem to our world. But in my life, I have not seen any other creatures but werewolves. Ever since Rogues happened, our world has not been in balance.

"No biggie," Perry says, above a whisper, which makes Dave leans in closer to hear. This makes Perry shiver. "Not a problem," a bit louder. Dave flinches and gets the wrong impression. He huffs, turns around and walks over me.

"Geez, he doesn't need to be rude."

"He's not being rude," The sudden feel to help Perry get my brother makes me think what in world I'm doing. At least I'm trying to help. "He's just the way he is," Maybe I'm just helping Dave to understand Perry better. Maybe I'm just trying to help my brother understand everything, little by little. Maybe I'm just preparing him for Perry. A lot of maybes.

As we're about to go, Cloud grabs my arm and the warmth of his skin seeps through mine, making me shiver. I look up at him.

He leans into my ear and whispers.

"I'm sorry,"- a pause -"I'll never stop."

With that, I decide I should go back to Beige so she can help me with the bandage wrapped loosely around my arm, and so I can also ask her if she could help me with my broken heart.