Chapter 18: The Rogues

Chapter 18
The Rogues

Rogues. Wolves. They have been watching me ever since. Troy has just left, with his Toyota Vios car. My eyes are glued to the wilderness. The fact that Rogues have found me, I know that my life is already in danger.

Rogues have become stronger, Marcus said to me. And now, they are coming after me. My knees are about to give up, my eyes still glued to the wilderness in front of me. I can still feel their eyes on me. They know that I'm now aware, and they are satisfied with what I'm feeling; scared and helpless. My heart races, as if it's about to break free out of me, to run away. My hands turn into fist, and tears well up in my eyes, but I fight against from crying. I don't my brother Dave to see me crying. He would be worried as hell and would tell Mom. I don't want to get worried about me. I can handle myself.

Yeah, right. I can.

Dave's palm rests on my shoulder and I jump from nervousness, whipping my head at his direction and staring at him with wide eyes. I smile at him nervously, laughing it off but he doesn't seem convinced. He knows that there's something's wrong. He just knows. We're like that. We know if there's something off, or if there's something bugging the other person. Telepathic. Even though he's not related to me, we are connected.

The Rogues. I can feel their paws pounding on the ground and then my eyes widen. I'm with my brother. If the Rogues are here to attack me, then Dave would be as well. The last time I've seen a Rogue was when I was 14 years old. There was an attack happening on the Blue Sky Pack. At that time, Cloud wasn't an Alpha but a mere 15 years old boy. His father, Clark, was there to protect the land we had been staying on. I was outside, unable to move and run, like the other people did. The families and their pups were trying to hide in the basement, and Alpha Clark was shouting, commanding every warriors to take down every Rogue that dared to attack us; them, The Blue Sky Pack, one of the strongest pack in United States of America. That's what I heard, and I know that they have proven it many times. Alpha Clark was just like Cloud. They looked alike. At that time, Cloud was just an inch taller than me. And the last time I had seen him was when I ran away after he rejected me. The day of his birthday I was outside, standing, staring at the horror happening in front of me. Limbs after limbs were scattered on the ground, bloods spewed everywhere. I had never been scared for my life. I had no family. I had no one. They did not take me to the basement. I was left alone.

One Rogue, with blood-like eyes, dark fur, tall and strong, was staring at me, like he had been wanting to eat me. For him, I was a little piece of meat. I was the prey. He was circling me, looking at me with those creepy eyes of his. He bared his deadly teeth at me, his fangs, and I shivered in fear. I was coated in fear that time, and there was no one to help me. The Rogue barked at me, as if he was readying himself to launch at me, which he did, and he did jump. A warrior had snapped his fangs to the Rogue's neck. The Rogue tried to put up a fight, but sadly, the warrior was stronger than him. Blood spewed all over me, and I stared wide eyed at the warrior, who was baring his teeth at me. I knew right then and there, he was the first one to help me. He was looking at me straight in the eyes, telling me to run and save myself. So I did run. As fast as I could, until the air had run out of my lungs. I knew I should be hiding in the basement with the other families and pups, but as much as I wanted to, they didn't want me there. They wanted me to hide elsewhere. They wanted me dead. That's what I knew. That's what I had believed. And it hadn't changed. I knew for a fact that I owed that werewolf, whoever he was. He helped me. He saved my life. I was grateful for the action he made. And for the first time, I cried not because I was being beaten up or being bullied;; I cried because I was saved.

I was saved for the first time.

The memory is still fresh in my head. Dave has been snapping his fingers in front of my face, looking at me with a worried expression plastered on his face. The sky is getting darker and darker as the clock ticks by. And by the looks of it, it looks like it's going to rain. My watch says it's 5:48. I don't know why my heart jumps out when I hear a rustle in the wilderness. From other people, their perspective would be just wilderness. But for me, it's different. They are there, waiting, preparing.

"Dave, we have to go." I say, commanding him. My tone sounds angry yet scared. Wobbly and unsure. "Now,"

He just watches me with curious eyes, as if he's thinking I'm going crazy. Maybe I am. Maybe I am not. But for now, we have to go away from here. Those Rogues, they are here for me, and I'm not going to risk my brother's life just because of me. I take his hand in mine and together, we both run. And that's what it takes to trigger the hunger for blood of the Rogues. My knees begin to go weak. I'm not an athletic person, neither is Dave, but we have to try.

Rogues come barging around us and when Dave sees them, his eyes widen. I can feel him trembling, travelling through our connected hands. I know better, so I look away. You can't just stare Rogues in the eyes. It would seem like you're challenging them, and no one is challenging them. Even if Furion was here, I would never ever challenge them. I was weak. I am weak. I will be weak. I'll get weaker and weaker. The Rogues bark at us, some howl, asking for backup. My heart picks up speed, faster than ever, blood pulsing through the veins. A lump has formed at the back of my throat, and I can't speak at all.

"Kieran, what do they want?" Dave says in panic, clutching my hand tightly. "Why are there wolves here? It's a fucking school ground for Pete's sake!"

"Shut up, Dave!" I say to him, panicking as well. My breathing becomes irrational. I tug his hand, making him jolt. I see an opening, so I take a chance, but Rogues know better. They are not intelligent, but they are not dumb either. Their brains function well. Not most of the time but rarely. And I guess this time, they are using it. A Rogue blocks a path and Dave and I have to stop. "Fuck, fuck, fuck." I chant.

My eyes roam around the area, and there are about five Rogues circling us, with red blood eyes and dark fur, close to black. Their fangs are showing, baring at us. One Rogue barks, and takes a suggestive step and we have to step back. My heart stops as the other Rogue barks louder than he has done earlier. Tears are threatening to spill out of my eyes and this time, I don't wipe them. Instead, I let them spill down my cheeks. It feels like this is my last day. What about Mom? What about Furion? I can't let my brother die, but then again, who would help us?

Then from the corner of my eyes, I see a Rogue launch himself on Dave. I let go of Dave's hand and push him back, which makes him stumble and fall on the ground with an oomf. The Rogue hits me and my back hits the ground. Groaning, the Rogue barks in front of my faces, his paw ready to slash me. I grab his paw, but he's stronger than me. I'm just a mere human who was once a werewolf but had to let go. I am just a human. I'm no longer a werewolf. The Rogue uses his other paw to pound me, and I use my other arm to shield myself, which results drawing blood all over my face. I shriek in pain as blood pours of my arm, and the Rogue has a smug grin plastered on his face. I hear my brother scream. As much as I want to help him, I have a big thing problem here in front of me. Blood keeps pouring out of my arm, and the Rogue shows me his deadly teeth slowly, as if he's showcasing it. His breath smells like an expired alcoholic beverage and a spoiled and rotten meats. I have stopped breathing when the Rogue has raised his paw to hit and I shut my eyes tight, waiting for the claws and the impact to hit me on the face. But it has never come.

In seconds, the Rogue has been taken by another wolf and when I take a look at them, I see the familiar fur that has saved me.

The silver thick fur werewolf has saved me once again.

And then my eyes shut close slowly, feeling the world go dark and empty as I lose consciousness. I feel exhausted, drained, weak, helpless. All at once. I try to reach for my brother, who's laying on the ground next to me. His eyes are closed, body paralyzed, but I know that he's still alive, based from his chest heaving up and down. I lose my grasp on staying awake, and then my world goes completely black.