Chapter 26: Cloud, the Great Alpha

Chapter 26
Cloud, the Great Alpha

 I hear faint voices when I start to come back to life, but once I know I'm conscious, I feel the heaviness of something inside me. My muscles, legs, arms, every part of my body feels tired and I can't even move a bit. I can't make out what's being said, due to the throbbing pain in my head. I just woke up and suddenly, I'm feeling angry at myself. Here I am, in my weakest and most vulnerable state. I remember a couple of scenes, but the rest is blurry. I remember seeing Troy, and the wolves, and Cloud tearing his clothes apart and changing into a werewolf, but other than that, I remember nothing else. It takes me a complete five minutes to move a finger, and when I do it, I'm hoping that someone would notice that I'm already awake. They do.

A presence is suddenly beside me, as the bed that I'm resting on bounces. A hand grasps mine softly, and I feel warm and fluffy inside. I know that hand. Every part and inch, every lines on the palm, I know it. Though it takes me much energy, I squeeze his hand, smiling a bit.

"Oh God," Cloud says. From the sound of his voice, I know that he's in a panic mode, and he sounds like he's ready to cry his eyes out. His hand tightens around mine, as if he's afraid to let of me, that I might be gone if he let go. When I open my eyes, lids opening a bit, the first I see is him. With his dark hair disheveled as if a thousand fingers run across it, his eyes that are so beautiful and perfect but worried and not calm. The bags under his eyes have gotten bigger, like he hasn't been sleeping since forever. His face wears an expression of something negative, like he's sort of blaming himself. It's not even his fault that I'm in this condition. It is nobody's fault. "Oh God, I thought you..." Cloud rests his forehead on my arm, his hand keeps tightening around mine that makes my hand numb. I refuse to flinch.

My eyes roam around the room and take in the things around me. The room is dimly lit, with the big windows, from ceiling to the floor, overlooking the dark and mystical forest, with the crescent moon shining across the sky. The world seems a bit darker than ever, lonelier than ever. The walls of the room are painted white, and the scent of lemon is lingering inside the room. There are a couple of beanies, in different colors, with a long, white sofa resting on the back, facing the small television. On the other side of the room is a door to what I guess is a bathroom, and on the other side, which is ajar, a door that leads to the long hallway. I'm guessing I'm in one of the rooms of the Great House. Beside those, there's nothing else. My eyes meet Troy's, who's leaning his back on the wall, with his right foot set on the wall. He has a worried and pained expression plastered on his face, his lips in a thin line as he looks at me with his eyes looking dull and all. I feel sad all of a sudden, matching his.

I can see that there are a milliong things running inside his head, the way he looks at me and Cloud, to our clasped hands. His hands form into a fist, as it seems, inside his pockets and Troy looks away. From here, I can see a glimpse of his bracelet dangling around his wrist, the crescent moon on one of the marbles just glowing faintly. The air feels cool in my skin except my arm, which is held by Cloud's. I have just had a shock in my life, and then, I'm stuck with the two boys inside this room. This is the most awkward state I have ever been. Two men. The man who has hurt me and the man who has accepted me. But I failed one of them, and I know, sooner or later, that I'm going to fail the other.

"Just so you know," Troy speaks, his voice set in a monotone. As he does so, his eyes are trained at the ajar door. "Everything is fine. Texted your brother, got your Mom's phone number, and told them that you were going to be staying in my house. Your mom said take care." But even though his voice is set already, I can strongly hear that he's very upset about the situtation we're in. Cloud and I's clasped hands is also upsetting him. "I should go."

My throat feels hot when I open my mouth, and the thousand words formed in my head are stuck inside it, not able to slip out of my mouth. Troy stands leaner, massaging his back and he then walks away out of the room. This is the first time I've seen Troy angry, and it's not very good in my part, knowing that I'm the caused of it. He is my friend. More than friend, but not lover. Troy is like a different meaning of a 'friend' to me, but I failed him. I let him see that we could be together, and I assumed that we would be together because everything about him is just so right. And it felt like we were meant to be, because I thought that the mates had no effect on me already, but it does. It still does. That's what so odd about it. I was already converted into a human, with no were inside me, but the mate's pull is still strong. It was just hidden inside me, buried deep into the pit of my heart, where dark feelings are lurking such as hatred and agony.

Cloud is staring at me with a sad expression on his face, his hand loosening around mine, but before it lets go, I hold onto it tight, not wanting to let go of the warm feeling he's giving me by holding our hands. A faint smile touches his lips, and I move a bit closer to the edge to let him rest beside me. He immediately picks up the gesture and gladly climbs into the bed with me, though a bit reluctant. I smile, just to know that everything is fine with me and a beautiful laugh escapes his lips, relief washing him as he suits himself right there on the bed beside me. Looking at me with a reluctant expression, Cloud doesn't know whether to put his arms around me or not. In a second, he would try to lift his arms up, but then once he raises his arm, he would lift it down so I decide to take his arms and put it around me. I don't know why I suddenly have the courage to put his arms around me, maybe I just want to feel how it would be perfect to have it around me, I just want it.

He rests his forehead against the side of my face and runs his nose across the line of my jaw, and the action tickles me that a small giggle slips out of my mouth. His arms tighten around me as he rests his leg on top of mine. I feel safe around his arms. Never woud I have thought that Cloud would ever lay a finger on me, if not for beating purposes. But now, all of my beliefs have changed once he put his arms around me. It feels like I have already been given another chance for another life, like I have given an authority of my life to enjoy it.

The beat of my heart has gone faster than ever, like it's a beat of a fast music. The beat of my heart so fast it could light up a million bulbs, could energize a million batteries, could make my whole world light up. And it is because of Cloud, the Great Alpha. All these days I have spent waking up for, I was still in a dark room, caged and alone, and I felt empty inside. But now, Cloud released me from it. He just did.

I look to my side and see Cloud watching me with a happy expression. It's like I'm seeing a younger version of me in front of me while he's smiling, like he has found the purpose of life. Though I do not want to assume, but my head keeps messing up with me, and it says that the purpose of his life is to join me. The sparks of hope are flickering, ready to ignite a fire in a minute if I set a foot on a world where assumptions always happen and hope dies out. But I'm willing to risk it. I'm willing to risk everything. Cloud and I, we just recently since forever but that's not a valid reason, as I hear the Goddess' voice whispering, to tear us apart, to prevent us from being together.

As I look to him, I watch in his eyes how my world is recontructing itself. I see myself with him, in those beautiful eyes of his and it makes me so happy. I take a deep breath and shut my eyes, feeling his warm skin against mine. I put my hands on top of his and smile myself to sleep. The burden inside me has been lifted off as I imagine the world with Cloud.