Chapter 31: Mates

Chapter 31
Mates

We are given a room each for us to stay. The room that is given to me is too big for my comfort. My room looks like it hasn't been used for several years, but still, they have managed to keep the room clean and all. The bed, which is a king size, has a white sheets and a looking comfy duvet is neatly folded on top of it. The design of the bed is extravagant, and it looks like the bed where Sleeping Beauty used to sleep. The windows are opened, letting the birds enter the room and they fly off around the room, chasing each other as they play around. To think that this world is in danger, it saddens me to imagine that this wonderful world is going to crumble and be destroyed if we don't hasten. We need to find Furion, my wolf. They say that Furion is powerful, but how could they tell? I mean, I know Furion is powerful, it's just that... when they say it, it's like he really is powerful, much powerful than I thought.

A knock on the door snaps me out of my thoughts and Cloud's head pops up from the ajar door. His dark hair is combed to the side, revealing his brown eyes that I love to see so much. He enters fully inside the room, staying near the door as he scratches his neck from the awkwardness. I can tell that he's not sure if he can get closer to me, so I give him a nod, indicating that it's okay for him to get near me. Cloud gives me a shy smile that shows his white teeth a bit and walks towards the bed, where I'm sitting on.

"Hey," he says as he approaches me, taking a seat on the bed beside me, making the bed bounce. I look down on my lap, my fingers fumbling with each other. I don't know what to say to him, or what to reply to his attempt. I'm afraid that I would say something dumb, or anything that would make him go because of my weirdness. I don't want to babble when I talk to him, but that would be hard because I would have to look at him in the eyes when I talk to him, which means I could be distracted. "Um, I... uh, I just... wait, I think..." Cloud sighs and drops his hand on his side, seeming pissed off. "I think you don't want me here. Sorry." He's about to stand up when my instinct to hold his hand kicks in, so I do. I hold his hand with not just only one but two hands, stopping him in the process of standing up. Cloud looks down on me, then to my hands holding his, and then back to me, and then he sits back on the bed.

"It's not that I don't want you here," I mutter, looking out on the field through the open window. I drop off his hand and take a deep breath. Heat creeps up on my cheeks as I realize that I held his hand, that I was the one who initiated it, and it makes me squirm. I can feel his eyes burning the side of my face. The thought of he and I being alone in this room doesn't help the situation at all. "It's just that... I never thought that we'd come this way, you know? I mean, I got rejected in the first place, and now, we're here, dealing with this mess."

Cloud nods, agreeing. "Yeah, it's crazy. All of these, it's crazy." Another wave of awkwardness greets us and we both seal our mouths. Seconds tick by and when it does, I can feel him getting closer and closer to e as I feel the bed lift up a bit and then bounce softly. His leg is now pressing against mine, and his shoulder is about to touch mine, and as he's about to get closer, I can feel the intake and the release of his breath. As he does so, the beat of my heart is getting erratic, sounding like a drum being used on a feast. While this happens, I keep my eyes focused outside, and suddenly, I forget how to breath when his palm rests on my thigh and I let out a breath. "Let's... let's talk about us." That makes me look at him.

Us. He wants to talk about us. My heart flutters at the word he used, and as much as I try to force myself not to smile, I do. It's like a magnetic thing. It happens when I'm happy. I think all of us suffers from that sometimes. He keeps brushing his thumb back and forth. His skin against mine feels warm. Cloud's eyes are pierced with mine, and from his eyes, I can see the world where he and I are living, if we ever defeated all of the enemies. I cannot imagine our life in the future, and I don't want to imagine it. I want it to happen when it's the right time. I don't want to imagine it because I don't want to spoil myself, and if the good things happen, I want to say to myself, 'Wow, this is really happening. I can't believe it.' I know that what we're dealing with right now, it's not going to be easy for us. I might get killed, or he might get killed, but we're going to fight and we're going to save our world. The evil won't stop, we know that, because really, madness really doesn't stop, but we'll always be here to protect our world so we can live today, tomorrow, and in the future.

Cloud clasps his hand with mine and I look at it, smiling from ear to ear. "Kieran, I know that I've hurt you real bad by doing bad things with you, and even though I suffered, I feel like I don't deserve your forgiveness, and I will never deserve you. But... I want you to know that love sometimes can be selfish. I want you to be with me. For every second and every day, for forever. If I need to go on my knees to beg, I'd do it in heartbeat, without hesitation, without giving it a second thought, because I'm being selfish. I want your love, even though I don't deserve it. I want you for myself and for myself only. I'm going to do whatever it takes for you to be with me." His body faces mine and he cups my face with his hands, leaving the warm he's giving me on my hands.  He stares deep into my eyes, and I can see how lonely he is, how much he longs for love, how much he yearns for his mate. I can also see how this is tearing him apart. I shut my eyes, refusing to cry. My heart is about to explode from the emotions I'm feeling, and it's too much to handle all at once. I rest my forehead on his hard chest and then I wrap my arms around him tight, afraid that he would be gone. I swear if he ever decides to leave again, or reject me, I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to handle a second rejection or another wave of sadness and pain. I would die. Cloud wraps his arms around me and a tears pool in my eyes and I shut my eyes tight to prevent myself from crying.

"Cloud," I say his name with love and all, above a whisper. "To be honest with you, I'm scared. I'm afraid that you would reject me again, or that you would deny me of your love. I can't handle another pain in my heart. I'd die, I swear. I'd fucking die. I don't want bad things to happen between us. Just please, don't ever reject me, I beg you. I... I... I'd do anything. Just please. Take care of my heart. My heart belongs to you. It's for you to decide whether you would crush it with your hands or take care of it."

"Of course, of course," he says excitedly, and I can hear a laugh and gratefulness in his voice. "I'll take care of you, of your heart. I'll never do stupid decisions again. God, I fucking swear, you really are my mate." With that, he leans down and captures my lips with his, and the feel of his lips against mine is heaven. The way it moves against mine, it's perfect. The feel of his lips with mine is soft. The butterflies in my stomach flutter wildly, and this is the best feeling that I cannot describe with words but with actions. My arms, like it has a mind on its own, wrap around his neck and our kiss deepens. Cloud rests his hand on my cheek as he kisses me and his other hand rests on the small of my back. Slowly and carefully, he lays me down on the bed without breaking the kiss, and every second, the room gets hotter and hotter as we keep kissing. My eyes flutter open as the sun shines on Cloud's face, giving me a beautiful view. He breaks the kiss by pulling out his face and suddenly, I feel bad, because I love the feel of his lips against mine. I think he just stole my first kiss. "When this ends, I swear I'll give you the life you deserve. I fucking promise that. God, I love your lips." 

He crashes his lips against mine for the second time, and it lasts longer than I thought, making us both breathless.