Episode 5 Part 2 - Calm before the storm

In the previous episode

Kiel eats a cherry filled bagel and meets Elaru in the designated place and time. Kiel is confused because Elaru's mana is different than how it felt like yesterday. Especially because mana carries traces of the owners personality and emotions. Elaru makes stools out of the ground in the clearing so they can discuss the matter while seated. 

* * *

Elaru sat down on the stool closest to her and motioned for Kiel to sit down too. He hesitated briefly before sitting down opposite of her.

Was there really a need for comfortable seating?

Elaru, as if answering his unspoken question, placed her small backpack on the stool between them and dug around it until she seemed to find what she was looking for - a metal tube. It was a scroll case.

Elaru carefully unscrewed the cap and removed the scroll from the inside, following which, she spread the thin yellowish parchment on the table and looked up at Kiel.

"Do you know what this is?" Elaru asked him, ready to explain.

However, Kiel didn't need an explanation. The first line of text written on the scroll happened to be the name of the scroll. It also happened to be written in letters so large he could have read it from a kilometer away.

It was a reusable Oath of Truth – a rare arcane contract.

Arcane contracts were specialized limiter spells. The contract spell would stay latent until activated by a trigger spell. The person who activated it would then be put under the contract. While the contract spell is active, it would limit the actions the person can take in such a way that he does not break the contract.

Oath of Truth made those who activated it unable to lie in a ten-minute time period. Unlike traditional contract scrolls which were one usage only, this particular one was reusable. As such, it was very hard to create and, therefore, pricey.

"How did you obtain that?" Kiel asked quietly.

"I know people." Elaru shrugged.

"You are well prepared. After yesterday, I assumed I am like an open book to you. Could it be I am not that easy to read after all?" Kiel rose his eyes from the scroll carefully examining her facial expression. The corner of his mouth twitched. He was trying to prevent a smirk from appearing on his face.

Confusion flashed across Elaru's face. "What? No. You're not the easiest person to read. However, the one signing the oath won't be you, but me."

Kiel's smirk, that never managed to emerge, died miserably and was replaced by a frown.

That was...thoughtful...and yet...insulting...

Kiel prided himself on being able to detect lies.

"That won't be necessary. I am proficient in detecting lies." As soon as the words left his mouth, he felt remorse for letting his pride get the best of him.

"Don't care. I'm signing it anyway." Elaru rolled her eyes completely ignoring his protest. Kiel's eyes flashed with a chilling light.

Elaru flicked her wrist in a fluid motion. Kiel could feel her casting a trigger spell - she was 'signing' the contract. The latent spell placed on the parchment was activated by her trigger spell. Kiel could feel a soft burst of magic power. The black ink forming words on the scroll glowed golden briefly before disappearing altogether. The ink would return when the current contract expired, and scroll could be used again.