Episode 30 - The Act of Teenage Rebellion

Previously on Aethernea:

Venric Rroda, Kiel's grandfather, orders Kiel's whereabouts to be investigated, along with information about Elaru Wayvin.

When Elaru shares her memory of the Morph spell, Kiel notices that her memory contains a color changing spell cast on her eyes. Kiel asks her if she had changed the color of her eyes.

* * *

Elaru covered her eyes with her palm and swiped it down as if wiping her face.

As she removed her palm, Kiel's breath caught in his throat. What stared back at him were those same stunning eyes from his memories. The daylight did nothing to lessen their ethereal beauty. Their vibrance made everything else look colorless.

"Aethernea of Sight has a very characteristic appearance that you just can't miss. If I went around looking like this, everyone would be able to tell I possess the Aethernea of Sight. So, of course, I always cover up their real appearance with a color changing spell.

The only reason why I didn't cover them up the first time we met was because I intended to reveal my Aethernea to you. It was a show of my sincerity. Since my Aethernea is one of my biggest secrets that should under no circumstance be revealed to anyone."

So it really was as he had thought. Kiel's expression didn't change in the slightest. "So the reason why I can't feel the spell is because you are concealing it."

Elaru smiled softly. "The disguise works the best if people don't know it is a disguise."

Besides the glittering of his eyes, Kiel's face remained emotionless. "What other spells do you have hidden on your body?"

Elaru's soft smile abruptly shifted into a smirk, followed by a shrug. "Everyone has their secrets."

Of course she wouldn't tell him. He didn't even expect her to. But at least she confirmed that she had other spells cast on her. So his question wasn't pointless.

"Don't worry. I am capable of telling what should be kept confidential. It might not be of life and death importance like the secret of Aetherneal bond, but I won't reveal it just the same."

It was, after all, an incredibly rare and sought after ability. Revealing it wouldn't benefit him in the slightest.

"But it is of life and death importance. It falls into the same category of danger as Aetherneal bond." As Elaru frowned, Kiel too furrowed his eyebrows.

"Aetherneal gifts aren't a secret. Everyone has heard tales of the divine gifts. Noble families like to gloat about their offspring which are Aethernea wielders. They don't hide it." Kiel reasoned.

"That's their show of superiority. Something they are the proudest of. Something that makes them feel like children of god. How would they react if an Aethernea that they thought to be their signature ability, something that can appear only on people from their own family, suddenly appeared on an outsider?" Elaru gave him a meaningful look before continuing.

"They would feel like their family heritage or a family heirloom was swiped away by someone else. Here they are, gloating about being children of god, and suddenly, they are not so privileged and unique after all. It would be a severe blow to their pride.

They'd stop at nothing to eliminate that person. They would never allow their Aethernea to spread around. If another noble family managed to get the Aethernea wielder under their banner and insisted on protecting them, it could easily escalate into a war between families."