Episode 98 - Replica or Not

Previously:

The day of the practical exams is finally here. Kiel enters the 4th floor of Replica Dungeon to take the exam. The Replica Dungeon transports him to a large arena where his exam will be taking place. Out of 9 other exam participants, Kiel recognizes 3 of them, with the third one being Zor Arite. 

* * *

As Kiel gazed at the imposing presence of Zor Arite, he felt his hopes of a perfect score crumble into nothingness. Zor Arite was a giant, impassable mountain crushing all hope. He was a monster among monsters, a person that had effortlessly managed to achieve a perfect score in the Muni exams 21 years ago. A person whose power was enough to annihilate all of the remaining 9 participants, Kiel included, even if they ganged up on him.

Saying that Kiel's luck was horrid would be an understatement.

But, hey, at least it couldn't get any worse than this, right?

Wrong.

It could get worse.

It could always get worse.

Kiel confirmed this as soon as his gaze reached the final participant in the exam, who came out of the room right next to his.

When Kiel's eyes landed on that familiar face, his face stiffened, and his mind was overcome with all swear words in his dictionary. The man finally turned his head, his gaze locking with Kiel's.

His eyes widened in shock, and he let out a disbelieving exclamation: "Huh? Little brother, what are you doing here?"

The person who stared back at Kiel was no other than his older brother – Rhur Rroda.

Or rather, it was a Replica of Rhur Rroda who took this exam last year.

Kiel remained silent as if he didn't hear the question directed his way.

Look at the bright side, I always wanted to give Rhur Rroda a beating. Kiel thought, but as soon as the thought entered his mind, his face darkened further. Unfortunately, with my current skills I'm not qualified to give him a beating. Even winning a pyrrhic victory would be an issue.

Completely unaware of Kiel's thoughts, Rhur's shock quickly dissipated, replaced by a frown. He gently flew towards Kiel, stopping at arm's length.

Kiel's pupils contracted as he stared at the Replica of his older brother. All of his features were identical to Rhur's. Even his aura felt exactly like the aura of the real Rhur. Not just his appearance and aura, even his scent was the same – Kiel could clearly smell Rhur's favorite cologne.

Kiel was so preoccupied with trying to find a flaw that his mind barely registered Rhur's voice: "Is this why you wanted to tag along with me and come to Ashar? To take the Muni exams? I must say that I'm impressed you made it this far. However, your efforts are futile. You haven't finished high school yet, little brother. You can't enroll in Muni."

Kiel's body suddenly broke out in goosebumps. When Elaru had told him that everything besides the soul could be copied, including one's consciousness, Kiel was extremely skeptical.

The idea that there could be another him inside the Replica Dungeon that holds his memories, and thinks, feels and acts exactly like him, made Kiel's hair stand on end.

Seeing the Replica of Rhur Rroda, made Kiel feel like he had been hit with a hammer.

How are Replicas mere flawed copies?! The person in front of him was in every way identical to Rhur Rroda.