16

The city of Paris was unusually silent; there were no vehicles moving in the streets, no Parisians or tourists walking around, no joyful laughs, and only a few city lights were turned on. The city was, needless to say, dead. 

Ladybug swung her way towards the top of the Eiffel tower, where she and her cat partner, Chat Noir, would usually meet for patrol. But upon setting foot on the iron surface, there was no dorky and flirty cat in sight. A deep sigh escaped her lips as she perched herself onto the edge with her feet dangling off. Her eyes wondered over to the once glorious and lively city of Paris, and a small smile made its way to her face.

She thought about how many historical events the Eiffel tower had seen and endured, how beautiful Paris is, how the city changed over the years, and the list goes on. She also thought about her friends--Alya, the blogger, Nino, the DJ, and finally, Adrien, the love of her life and her partner. For the past several days, they were the people who kept her smiling and happy all the way.

Ah, imagine life without those five, including the kwamis, friends of hers.

A soft click of heels beside her made her turn to the side. There, stood Chat Noir, making Ladybug grin.

"You're late, Kitty." teased the heroine as she brought herself up from the ground carefully, and made her way towards him.

But an unexpected growl from Chat halted her from moving any further. "Don't."

Ladybug tilted her head in confusion; what was wrong with him? Did his father did something to him again which turned him into this? Or is there something bothering him? His emerald eyes stared into her blue ones with such ferocity, while his whole body tensed up.

"Chat, are you okay? Is there something wrong?" questioned Marinette as she took one step forward.

Chat Noir's claws extended as his cat-like eye's pupils narrowed, now resembling an angered cat. Ladybug took a step back, while he took a step forward. "A-Adrien?" shakily called out Marinette to her partner as she tightly gripped her yo-yo, just in case things get out of hand.

"Chat Noir, snap out of it!" she exclaimed as he continued to advance towards her. At that point, his eyes dilated and his claws retracted, making Marinette sigh in relief. But before she could scold him or talk to him, he retracted his baton and prepared to take off.

He averted his gaze from Ladybug as he stared at the floor with a glint of sadness in his eyes, saying, "I'm sorry, Ladybug." 

And so, he took off, leaving a confused Marinette behind. After that strange incident with Chat Noir, she attempted to contact him several times, but he wouldn't pick up his phone. It was odd of him, really, to act mad towards her. He would only usually do this whenever an akuma makes him do it, but today, there was not a single akuma in sight, which made Marinette wonder more.

As she was swinging midair towards a rooftop on her way home, the oddest thing happened--the string connecting her to her yo-yo snapped. It all seemed in slow motion as she falls to the ground. Her widened eyes stared up at the blanket of stars as she screams for help, but nothing came out of her throat. Standing on the rooftop above was Chat Noir staring down at her. A tear escaped her watery eyes as she continues to call out for help from her partner, who merely watched her fall and did nothing.

'Why?' she thought to herself as she closes her eyes, bracing for the impact. If today's her death, then she will accept it with open arms.

But instead of the cold concrete, her back landed onto something soft--her bed. She slowly fluttered her eyes open to the sight of her very own room, which spooked her. She jumped from her bed, startled, and eventually went tumbling down to the floor with a loud thud, hitting her head in the process.