After the Fact: Pack Up The Louie

((This little chapter kind of goes along with the story I have for The House on Mortimer Road. It's all post dhmis 4, just so you know))

The clock rings and it's half past eleven
Can't believe how much the time just flies...
I had a bad feeling about this place from the very beginning. The mucky windows that you could barely see out of. The scratches on the hardwood floor, as if someone was being dragged. The way the house always smelled of dry blood no matter how much I cleaned. The sound of the creatures that lurked the house stirring in the night.
These were all signs that we weren't supposed to be here, but I chose to ignore them. Well I mean, the look of the house was acceptable, and the owner wanted to get it off his hands, so I didn't see why it was a bad idea to buy it. I do remember that the previous owner said something about having to pay a small price when living here.
He didn't tell me that the little, tiny price I had to pay for inhabiting this pit of hell was my safety and sanity. Crooked little kretin.
Things were fine for a while, until they appeared. The place already seemed off right from the get-go, and talking notepads, strange notebooks and vengeful spirits didn't really help in that case.
Soon I'll be on a cruise to heaven
Hearin' stories and a thousand lies
I mean, I didn't want to leave my friends, Manny and Robin alone in this place, but it seemed like that's what I have to do at this point. I didn't like the thought of it, them being here, all by themselves with the rest of the oddities that lived here. Even just the thought of it makes me feel sick to my stomach. But I didn't like the thought of being here either, and in life, there are certain sacrifices we have to make.
And I know what you're thinking;
"Harry, why can't you just bring them with you?"
Well friend, if you want my honest answer to that question, it's that this situation is not that simple.
You see, I bought this house about a year ago, and it's already an old house, so it's hard to get it on the market. It wouldn't be a good idea for us all to abandon the house, because where would we go next? Money is tight, and it's not like we can just up and buy a new house. None of us have any family close by, and going to a shelter is not an option, because I wouldn't want my friends to go through that experience, especially not young Manny.
About the things that I'd never do
Experience that I don't have
I was hoping that if I just go alone, buy a small house, and get a second job, I could be able to buy another bigger house, for the three of us, so we can just leave this whole mess behind.
I know that this will take time, and patience, but in the end we'll all finally be happy, and that's what makes it worth it.
I began to assemble all the necessities I could find, so I could put them in my suitcase. If I was going to leave, there would be no harm in leaving prepared, right?
So let's see...what would I need to carry with me out into the real world? Well, for starters, I would certainly need clothing. I started to rummage through my messy wardrobe to find what I wanted. I pulled out five outfits; pyjamas, two pairs of jeans, sweatpants, three sweaters, and a suit that I only wore once. I was only going to pack those for now, because I just couldn't pack my whole closet in one suitcase. Besides, maybe I'll have enough money left over to buy some new clothes.
As I stepped away from the wardrobe, a pastel shimmer caught my eye. I glanced back towards the chest, raising an eyebrow. Stepping closer, and examining the closet closely, I found that the glint against my vision wasn't just my eyes playing tricks on me.
It's kinda scary, I'm the big Queen Mary
Gotta get it, gotta do it fast
I reached into the closet, clutching the glittery blue material, and pulling it out of its place. When I held it out in front of me, I had to stifle a giggle. It was the sweater Manny and Robin made (tried to make) for my birthday. It was two sizes too small, but that didn't matter, because it was made out of warm yarn, in a wonderful shade of baby blue. The blue was accompanied by loads of sequins, and Pom-poms that were every colour of the rainbow. Across the middle in bright red letters read; friend shaped.
I felt a pang of guilt in my chest, at the thought of what I was about to do. How could I be so cruel to leave them behind when they love me this much? How dare I take the first step in preparation of abandoning my friends, my family?
Sometimes life doesn't work out the way we want it to. Life here has been just a big train wreck, with small moments of peace in between. And right now, it sure wasn't a moment of ignorance and bliss.
It took me a long time to realize this was what I had to do, and an even longer time to gain the courage to do it. Ever since I found the deceased, Colin Silva's notebook, I've been very uneasy in this house. And it wasn't the normal fear I faced every day, it was downright paranoia, palms sweaty, glancing around nervously before entering a room, staying up all night because you're afraid that if you close your eyes the darkness might be the last thing you see. I've been more uncomfortable than I have ever been. Now, don't think that I'm leaving only to escape my fear...I'm doing it for them too.
They are the only reason I decided to go through with this in the first place...seeing them unhappy made my stomach churn.
I packed the sweater in my suitcase, since it would be nice to have a memory of them.
Gotta grab a piece of paper
Wish I could find my pen...
Next, I packed the basics, you know, a toothbrush, hairbrush, my laptop, and all the money I could take. From the looks of it, I was all set, but I just couldn't help but feel as if I were missing something. I closed the brown briefcase, and picked it up, walking out of my room and closing the door.
I was leaving in the night time, since I couldn't bare to see the looks on Manny and Robin's faces when I told them I would be leaving. I'm sure they would be fine. I put enough money in the bank for them, and Robin had a steady job, so they should be able to pay for anything they needed.
I just felt really badly about leaving them without a single sign. Ever since the encounter with the computer a while ago, everyone has been sort of uncomfortable. Hell, Manny couldn't even remember any of it, and he still feels afraid.
I walked quietly down the hall towards Manny's room, cracking open the wooden door slightly. When I peeked in, I saw that the boy was asleep, curled up tight in his mint green blankets, oblivious to any of what was happening. I let out a deep sigh, tip-toeing into the dark room to end up at the side of his bed, watching over him. Tears started to form in my eyes knowing that this would be the last time I would see him in a while. I bent down, placing a kiss on his forehead, trying my hardest to keep my composure.
I then, turned on my heel, walking as quietly as a could out of the room.
Manny is very naive, so he wouldn't comprehend the fact that I left when the morning comes. He might not even remember me, because he only has the capacity to remember certain events, which was not entirely his fault, really. It was theirs.
But Robin, Robin was different. He remembered every waking moment, and he needed an answer to every question. He needed to be sure of everything. If I just left without explaining, he would be heartbroken, and confused. Well, it didn't really matter if I explained or not, because he would be heartbroken none the less, but at least that's better than being heartbroken and confused.
What am I takin' ya
What am I waiting for?
As I walked down the stairs, I contemplated how I was going to tell Robin. Eventually, I decided on writing him a letter for him to see in the morning. I stepped into the kitchen, flipping on the light and setting my brief case down on the tile floor.
I pulled a sheet of paper out of one of the drawers in the kitchen, and set it on the white table. I dug through the chaotic mess of an art drawer to try and find myself a pen, and when I found one I was content with, I sat down, staring at the pale blank space.
What would I say? What could I say? I just couldn't say I decided to leave him alone in this house because I want them to be happy, because they wouldn't be happy for a very long time. I'm really bad with words, and I'm scared because this whole thing might come across as if I don't want to be here with them anymore, and it would make Robin very upset.
'Dear Robin,' I started. I really hope that my short blurb of words written down in my tired messy handwriting would help explain my idiocy.
Because if it didn't, I could never forgive myself.
Once I was finished with the letter, I folded it up neatly to go put it somewhere Robin would find it. As I walked past the fridge to pick up my suitcase, I paused. I glanced at the collage of photos that we had pinned onto the fridge. They were obviously from a while ago, because we were all smiling, and we looked so happy. Taking pictures just isn't something we do anymore, and that fact made my heart sink.
I took one of the photos with all three of us bunched together, smiling widely, a playful glint in all of our eyes. We all looked younger, healthier, and most definitely happy.
I skimmed over Manny, whom of which wore a stripped yellow shirt under his blue overalls. His navy blue hair was messy, and he was smiling so wide you could see the cute little gap in his teeth.
Next, I looked at Robin, a polite grin on his face, his dark skin seeming to glow. I enjoyed the contest of his Amber eyes and his black hair, highlighted with a forest green. I would never get sick of looking over his familiar features.
Lastly, I saw myself in the middle, holding on tightly to my two friends, and smiling sweetly. My long red hair went past my shoulders, and some of it covered my face.
It was one of those photos that you would see on a Christmas card, of a functional family, enjoying life on the planet earth.
Anyone who looked at this photo would think that we were perfect, but oh how little they know...
I put the picture in my suitcase, and closed it back up. The feeling of forgetting something important was abolished almost instantaneously.
I gotta pack, gotta pack up the louie
And I can't leave a thing behind
I exited the kitchen, and as I was about to trudge back upstairs, I caught sight of Robin through the entrance of the living room, sitting in his rocking chair. From the looks of it, he was sleeping, so this was the perfect chance.
I walked up to him, and gently slipped the folded piece of paper into his hand.
Looking up at his face made me want to cry, because I knew that he would wake up in the morning alone. If it were me in this situation, I would hate me too.
I leaned in, kissing his cheek quickly before I left the room.
I took my long brown trench coat off of the rack, and slipped it on over my read sweater. Then, I wrapped my favourite scarf around my neck, and picked up my brief case. I took a deep breath, bracing myself for what was to come.
Goodbye friends...I'll miss you forever.
Gotta pack, gotta pack up the Louie
For every different change of mind

|-/
Gotta pocket for every reason
Every season be another day...
In the morning, when the light hit Robin's face, his eyes fluttered open softly, only to find that a piece of paper had been wedged in between his hand. The male opened it curiously, and started to read the words scribbled onto the paper in black ink.
Dear Robin,
I'm leaving home to make more money, and hopefully find us a new house.
Seeing how living here has caused all of us a great deal of pain, I set out to find a better future for us.
The truth is that, as long as they are here, this house is not a home, and being here is no longer safe for any of us.
Please understand that my actions weren't in vain, but in fact, to make you and Manny happy
Love, Harry
Robin's eyes filled up with tears as he read the last sentence.
P.S. I love you both very much, please, never forget that.

Gotta pack, gotta pack up the Louie
I love my Louie when I go away...