Epilouge

Eight years later

I woke up in the middle of the night to find myself wet. My eyes widened with panic and I started shaking Toby.

"Toby, my water broke!" I said frantically.

"Hmm." He hummed groggily.

A felt a sharp pain in my stomach and cry out. I assumed it must be a contraction. Toby snapped awake at my cry.

"What is it?" He asked worriedly.

"My water broke." I gasped. The pain was starting to subside so I took deep breaths.

"What?!" He asked in bewilderment.

"Our child is being born. Tonight." I clarified.

"Tonight?" He repeated.

"Yes Toby! It's coming tonight!" I yelled.

"I can't believe it!" He said excitedly. He hopped out of bed and grabbed my overnight bag. "What are you waiting for? Let's go!"

"Pants babe. I need pants." I said.

His mouth formed an "o" and he quickly grabbed me some pants. I slipped into them and we hurried to the car. Toby drove quickly to the hospital in Panama City. By the time the forty-five minutes drive was over the contractions were worse.

"Help somebody! My wife is having a baby!" Toby shouted as we entered the emergency room. A nurse quickly ushered us to a room and had me change into a hospital gown before hooking me up to different machines to monitor the contractions and my heart rate.

"Did your water break?" The nurse asked.

"Yes." I replied.

"About what time was that?" She asked.

"I don't know. About an hour ago." I answered. She asked a few questions about that before asking about the contractions.

"I think I started having contractions around eight o'clock. I didn't realize that's what it was though." I informed her. "They are lasting about forty-five seconds an their only six minutes apart." She checks to see how far along I am.

"Okay." She says calmly. "Your almost dilated three centimeters so soon you'll be shifting into the active labor phase. The contractions will be closer together and more intense. A doctor will be here soon to check on you. " The nurse assured us as she hurried out.

I cried out as another contraction hit me. Toby soothed me by massaging my lower back. "It's almost over." He assured me. He pressed his lips against my shoulder. "Your doing good baby."

"Thanks." I sighed as the contraction faded.

"We are having baby." He smiled pressing a kiss to my neck.

I smiled in return. "I know." I said softly.

"Hello. I'm Dr. Taylor. You must be Mrs. Roth." The doctor, an elderly man with gray hair, introduces himself. I attempt a half smile as another contraction seizes me. "And would you be the father?" He asked Toby.

"Yes sir." He replied rubbing my back again.

"Let's see where your at sweetheart." He checks me and the different monitors. "Your coming along great. It should only be a few hours before your baby comes."

My eyes widened. "A few hours?" I gasped. "I don't think I can do this for a few hours." I said fearfully.

"It's okay." Toby soothed.

"I can get the nurse to give you something to numb the pain." Dr. Taylor offered.

"No." I said stubbornly. "We want to do this naturally."

The doctor nodded and left to check on another patient, promising to come back soon.

I rested my head on Toby's chest. "I'm so tired already." I sighed.

"I know baby." He kissed my forehead. "Our baby will be worth it."

I smiled. "I still can't get over the fact that we are married and this is our baby."

He chuckled. "I bet you never expected this when I pulled you out of the water all those years ago."

I giggled. "Well I had my suspicions." I joked.

"I love you." He murmured.

"I love you too."

                        ***

Four hours later

"It's time!" The doctor announced. "Get ready to push."

I nodded, terrified. This was the part I knew was supposed to hurt the most. I looked to Toby for support.

"You've got this." He said taking my hand.

"One. Two. Three. Push." The doctor called.

I cried out in pain. My body arched slightly as I tried to give birth to my baby. Over and over the doctor told me to push and I did.

"Tobias Israel Roth I'm going to kill you!" I yelled.

"Okay." Toby said calmly.

"Again!" THe doctor called. "Push!"

"I can't!" I cried. Pain wracked my body. Sweat trickled down my forehead and my hair stuck to me.

"Come on baby." Toby said. "You can do it. It's almost over."

"Kiss me." I gasped. He pressed his lips against mine briefly.

"Now push." He said pulling away. After a few more pushes I heard a cry that was not my own. One that was unmistakably a babies.

"It's a boy!" The doctor called.

I started laughing and crying at the same time as the nurse brought my baby over to me. I saw him for the first time still slimy and dirty from being inside me. "Hello, Andrew." I whispered taking him in my arms. "Mommy is so glad to finally meet you." Toby wrapped an arm around me and smiled down at our son.

"What is his name?" The nurse asked.

Toby looked at me and I nodded. He smiled. "Andrew Beethoven Roth."