The Auction

A knock on my door frightens me. I close the journal that I'm writing on and stand up from my bed to open the door.

"Megan, can I talk to you for a moment?" My grandfather asks and I open the door fully. He comes in and sit on my bed, picking up my journal and inspecting it.

"Grandpa... That's private!" I say as I snatch the journal from him and place it on the desk.

"Anyway, Nathan called. Looks like I'll be on a mission again." He sighs as I sit beside him. 

"Grandpa, let me come this time. I swear I won't get myself killed..." I beg, remembering the last adventure that we took. That was only years ago and I thought that Nate had retired; seems like he's back in business. I look at him in the eyes and he glances at me and chuckles. 

"You are as stubborn as your mother." He remarks, standing up and chuckling. "Alright, you can join. Bring a nice fancy dress. We'll be stealing the St. Dismas Cross from an auction."

"He's back with the Avery hunt?" I ask.

He nods his head and leaves the room.

I was exposed to all this treasure hunting since I was very little. I remember my parents leaving me to the care of my grandfather because they're out on adventure. Somehow, I understood what they were talking about; the stories that they told me about their adventures. Everything. Until, one day, when I was ten, they left me to the care of my grandfather again and they never came back to tell the tale of their last adventure. They were never found, they were never heard of ever again.

This made me determined to finish what they started. I never knew what they were looking for or where their last adventure was, but this didn't bother me. I wanted to finish what they had been doing. This was when I started to join my grandfather and Nathan with their adventures when I was fifteen. My grandfather was a bit hesitant at first, but he knew I had it in me. Since the El Dorado, Shambhala and other places that we went with Nathan.

At that point, Nathan started to feel like an older brother to me; someone close. But that was ten years ago. It was only five years ago that he stopped and "retired" to live a normal life with his wife, Elena. That was when I stopped the adventures and lived a normal life myself.

Now, hearing that another adventure is about to begin, I can't feel anything but excitement. Let's see what this adventure awaits.

- - - - -

"This place is fancy." I comment to my grandfather as we ascend the steps to the library where we're supposed to meet.

"That's what I like about 'em." He replies, opening the door to the library. I look around the place, fascinated by the expensive looking furniture that I never had.

Grandfather turns a lamp on and off and I look at him. "To signal them to start getting their ass here." He informs me.

I nod my head and start to look around the place. I had forgotten how it felt like to have adrenaline run through my body. It has been long. Something stuck to my head when he replied to me. Them?

"Hold on, grandpa, it's not only Nate? Who else is coming? Elena?"

He chuckles. "His brother." He replies, leaving me hanging with the suspense that another stranger is on board. His brother? Nathan never told me anything about his brother, nor did grandpa. I shake off the thought and ask Nathan himself for answers when he gets here.

I inspect the books beside where my grandfather is sitting. He grabs a cigar from his pocket and lights it up.