Chapter 2 - New Friends

Zombie Apocalypse AU (Sam Drake)

(I am in need of a beta reader, so if any of you want to be a beta reader for the next chapter or for any of my stories, please let me know! ^-^)

- - - - -

"I'm not a threat!" A man yells as he comes out of the shadows, his arms raised in a form of surrender as his eyes are pushed together in fear, "I'm unarmed!" Sam puts down his gun, but not placing it in his holster. I walk to Sam's side, looking carefully at the man.

"Who are you?" I ask and he gulps.

"Scott Harris," He says, putting his hands down. As he walks closer, I can see clearly that he is dressed in somewhat of a formal fashion: light blue checkered shirt, covering his arms along with jeans and dress shoes. "I'm a--" He is cut short by the sight of the lifeless child on the ground and he faints on the concrete floor.

Sam sighs and places his gun back in the holster then wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "That's one problem done." He sits by the nearest wall and I rest my head on his chest as he has both of his arms enveloping me, kissing the top of my head. "Get some rest."

My eyes starts to feel heavy and I haven't realized how tired I've been. Obliging, I close my eyes slowly as I let his soft breathing send me to sleep.

- - - - -

Scott entered the lab with his coat, ready to save the world by finding a cure to the virus. On a metal bed laid an unfortunate victim of the virus, covered in a white sheet until the collar bones. Scott turned on the recording device and analyzed the body. "Subject 2 not breathing. Monitor indicates a flatline," He checked for a pulse on the neck then on the wrist for confirmation and felt nothing. "No pulse--Subject 2 is deceased."

He took the syringe with one of the cure samples, "Vaccine test," he injected the syringe on one of the chords, "Z.A. Series serum 34 compound 5. Commencing cure test." As the vaccine started flowing through the chords and into the body, he checked his watch and waited for thirty-seconds to see no results. "Thirty-seconds passed, no sign of breathing or heart-rate. Subject two remains deceased." He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose from another failed cure test.

It's been weeks since he had worked on this test. The most stressing project given to him, looking at the sprouted gray hairs on his temples. As he turned around to make another vaccine the heart-rate-monitor started beeping slowly then getting faster until 87 beats per minute. His eyes widened and quickly walked back to the body. "I-I take that back, subject two is responding with 87 beats per minute, core temperature: 37 degrees--this is unbelievable." He took a flashlight and checked the eyes to see any human color and the color brown started to fade. "Eye color--ahh!" A stinging pain cut him off, making him stumble backwards as the subject started to screech and setting free from the handcuffs.

Without hesitation, Scott swiftly rose and ran towards the alarm, activating it as he started to run out with alarms going off throughout the lab and the town. He knew what he had done; he knew the danger he had put upon the town, the city, and soon the world. Making it out the lab alive was more complicated than he thought as his heart raced fast that he couldn't feel his leg as he wobbled his way towards the exit. He forced himself to run, but it only made him stumble and hit a switch that opened doors, releasing the other failed subjects.

- - - - -

"--I was in a rush, I needed to see my family before--" Scott stops himself and rubs his forearm, scrunching his nose as if it was painful. I look at him intently and then down at his covered arms, hoping that I can see through the fabric but I quickly give up and tug onto Sam's shirt. "I need to talk to you for a moment," I give Scott an apologetic look as he replies to me with a half smile. Turning my head to face Sam, his height has defeated mine that I need to pull my head back to see his face. "What's the plan?"