Love Affair (The Better Version)

It's no secret that I gained a crush on Nathan; it's not secret either that many girls crush on Nathan. His looks, his physique and what he does will drive any girl crazy. I'm pretty sure that he knows that. I have been working with Nathan for a short time. I was eighteen when we first met and he was thirty-two, but that didn't stop me from liking him.

It's been a few months since we've found Atlantis and I've been debating whether I should tell him my feelings or not. I mean, there's fourteen years difference, but that doesn't mean anything, right? I'm in the legal age of twenty, so there's no problem to be dealt with.

I pick up my phone from the bedside table and call my grandfather for advice.

Ringing...

Ringing...

Ringing...

No answer.

The silence of the room is filled with the sound of my racing heart, the sound so close like it's right by my ear. The nervousness that I'm feeling feeds doubts into my brain as I contemplate whether or not I should tell Nate about my feelings. Then I think again, What if I could actually have a chance here?

I press the call button on Nate's contact and press the phone into my ears, the ringing sound hiding the beat of my heart. After two rings, he picks up his phone, greeting me with his usual cheery but sweet voice that makes my heart almost jump out my throat. I stay silent as I think of things to say, but when I come up with something, my mouth refuses to work.

"N-Nate... I, uh..." I manage to say and I can feel his concern on the other end.

"Is everything alright, Meggie?" He asks. The nickname he gave me was cute and I can't help but stiffen even if it is the billionth time he called me that. I finally found my voice but it's too late for me to say something as Nate has beaten me to it. "You don't sound too good... I'll be over at your house in a minute." With that, the call ends and I am still with shock.

My heart beats the same fast pace but only to be muffled by the ringing in my ears. I notice I'm breathing faster than normal and I breathe in deeply to slower my heart beat.

To distract myself, I stand up and walk to the living room, feeling my heart slow its pace. Only for it to quicken by the sound of the doorbell; my stomach churns at my nervousness and I take deep breaths to calm myself. He was literal by 'in a minute'.

I slowly walk towards the door, giving myself a pep talk before opening it ajar, peeking through to see Nate give me a small wave. "Hey..." He greets me as I open the door fully for him to enter. I lick my lips, a usual tendency due to my nervousness. He places both of his hands on my shoulder and looks intently into my eyes. "Is something bothering you?" His brows are pushed together in concern.

My cheeks heat up and I look around the room--anything--just not at him. "I-I-I... Um..." The stutter of my voice made it clear to him that I was nervous and the redness of my cheeks were probably visible for him to laugh at me.

"You nervous, Meggie?" He continues to laugh. "What for?"

I ignore his question. "Do you... Do you need some water, Nate?" I excuse myself before he could answer, getting two glasses and filling them up with water. When I walk back to him, I see him on my balcony, leaning onto the railing as he looks at the dark scenery of the neighborhood.

Placing the glass in front of him, he jumps as if he's startled, like I was breaking him from his thoughts. He clears his throat before picking up his glass. "Thank you." He takes a sip while I chug mine, the nervousness almost disappearing from the feeling of the water in my throat.