Bait (Requested Sam x Reader)

Dedicated to the amazing @BlueOrchidAbbie for this beautiful idea! I really had fun writing it, although I apologize for the tardiness; I was quite busy and I also didn't know how to write it, but here it is! Hope you enjoy it!!

Also, since this is going to be quite long, I'm splitting this into two parts. :)

- - - - -

A deep breath escapes my mouth as I pull up the skirt of my dress to walk up the steps of the Rossi Estate. My gut churns in my stomach with every step that I make and the ringing in my ears slowly starting to fade as I reach the top and walk inside hearing the soft chattering of all these formally dressed up people. Just ahead of me, I see The Saint Dismas Cross, the light shining on it makes it seem like it's easy to get, but I know for sure that it isn't. Stealing it is the only way I can retrieve it since I'm not as rich as all these people.

Feeling out of place and no one to talk to, I decide to just stand around, listen to some conversations and hopefully pipe in.

"The bidding will start in ten minutes." The auctioneer announces and I rub my hands together. I repeat the plan over and over in my head as my heart pounds in my ears. I have never done such a thing nor have I ever thought of it. This started when I saw a ripped out page of a journal that has information about Henry Avery and his treasures written on it. My grandmother told me stories about her treasure huntings, but now that she's dead, I feel like the 'responsibility' is passed onto me.

"What's a woman like you doing in a place like this?" A waiter, handsome might I add, approaches me with a tray filled with champagne. His lips are formed in a smirk as his eyes checks me up and down, but stops halfway up. I clear my throat to get his attention.

"Oh, you know, just here in the auction. . ." I reply, hoping that he doesn't catch my bluff. "And you? What's a man like you working in a place like this?"

He chuckles at my question, rubbing his stubble and looking around before leaning onto me to whisper. "I don't actually work here."

"Oh?" I cross my arms, raising an eye-brow in full curiosity.

"You see that cross over there?" He points towards it and I'm hoping inside he's not getting it for himself. "My brother and I are stealing it." He smiles smugly, staring at me for a reaction but I just look at the cross, my heart sinking down low in my gut. "You don't look impressed." He mentions, the smug smile fading and that's when I pull my attention away from the cross and beam a smile at him.

"What? No! That's very impressive! No one has ever told me that!" I exclaim, covering up the urge of competing with him; but that thought shifts as I come up with a different plan: to help them and then ditch them along the way. "Is there any way I can help?"

His face brightens up but he shifts his composure in discomfort. He looks intently behind me and I can't help but to do so as well. There are so many people in the room, but what stands out most is a rather dashing man in a white suit, talking to an older man and a very intimidating woman. Just before I can react, he throws the drink from the old man's hand and points a finger at him in a form of threat.

"You see him? He's our enemy and I want you to distract him from bidding or even getting close to winning it." I look back at him and his eyes stares directly into mine, making my heart skip a beat. "Can you do that?" The way he looks at me with so much trust that saying 'No' or even chickening out will break my heart. I nod slowly and so does he.

"The bidding will start in five minutes." The auctioneer announces again and the waiter starts to leave.

"Wait!" I exclaim while grabbing a hold of his hand, turning him back to me. "I don't know your name."