Realize (Revenge Part 3)

The days go by and soon it becomes weeks. The memory of that night has never left my mind. I was ready to die for Sam, to die for him; instead he was the one who took the bullet and not me. It bothered me, and also the fact that I meant nothing more than the treasure towards Rafe. It angered me so much that I wouldn't want to talk to him. He was patient, which was unlike him and it amazes me how much he changed. Maybe the explosion did something to his brain.

Dinner was silent like usual, Rafe sitting across me, glancing up at me hoping to strike a conversation but I ignore him. "Well, Megan, it's been almost a month... Haven't you already moved on?" He takes a sip of his water while I stop cutting the meat of my dinner. The engagement ring on my finger shines from the fireplace behind me and my heart skips a beat.

Sam... I'm sorry... I was supposed to take that bullet, not you...

The thud of the cup brings me back to reality and I jump in my seat, looking at Rafe as he grips on the cup, almost smashing it. He stares at me, his teeth gritted and his eye-brows knit. The Rafe that I knew has come back and it scares me to think of our past; of what happened that night. "I let you move on... I gave you space... I try to make you come back to me, but you're just so stubborn!" He yells, standing up from his chair and smacking the table with both of his palms. I stare at him, not knowing what to do anymore.

He makes his way towards me but I stand up from my seat and back away, not wanting him to touch me as the memories of what happened before came running back. He takes a deep breath. "Megan, sweetie, I just want things to work with us..." He says, softer this time but I continue to retreat until my back is touching the wall. Its cold surface sending the hairs on my nape to raise, afraid of what is about to happen next. "Just be mine again..." He hugs me and at first I try to let go, but I feel the wetness of his tears on my shoulder as he silently cries and I stiffen. This was something I didn't expect from him and I hug him back, taking in this moment since it has never happened before. "I changed... For us, Megan... I want the love that we used to have again..." He stares at me, wiping his cheeks. "You're the only woman for me..."

My heart breaks just by looking at him and I can't help but to place my hands on both of his cheeks. "Rafe..." I trail off, not knowing what else to say to him. I was filled with so much anger the last few months that something like this never occurred to me. My mind keeps thinking as I try to look for something to say.

"The love that we had is gone..." I finally say and from the look in his eyes, he's heartbroken.

"Then we can get it back... Step by step..." He tries his hardest but it's not working for me. He pulls me closer to him, his hands on my back. "I want you again, Megan... I never stopped loving you..."

I think about this, but all I'm thinking about is Sam. I do not want to repeat the same mistake by loving another man just to move on from the other, but I consider this and nod my head. "Okay..." I answer softly and he smiles, hugging me tightly. My arms wrap around his nape and I hear him mutter 'thank you' repeatedly.

- - - - -

The feeling of soft kisses on my jawline and my neck wakes me. I smile at the feeling, like butterflies are landing on my face. I turn around and bury my face onto Rafe's chest as he wraps his arms around my waist, holding tightly onto my back like he will loose me again. I cannot remember a time that we were this close to each other and this most definitely feels different from the Rafe that I knew.

"Good morning, sweetheart." He kisses the top of my head and I smile up to him, planting a kiss on his lips.

"Morning to you, too."

He smiles sleepily back at me. "I missed you." Just as he leans to kiss me again, his phone rings and he grunts, picking it up and answering it. I stand up, wrapping the bedsheets to cover my nude body, careful to not step onto the scattered clothes that we lazily took off last night. I blush at the sudden memory as I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth.