To Love Him

The cafe doesn't seem to be crowded today and work has never been more boring and tiresome. I have never tried sleeping at work, but right now, I'm considering it. Not only that, but the hot weather has made my eyes heavier than ever.

"Hey, have I told you about my party tonight?" Crystal asks as the last customer finishes to place their order and waits in their seat.

"Hm? No. Am I invited?" I ask, raising an eye-brow to tease her. The last time she threw a party, she forgot to invite me–or because she thought that if I was invited, I would steal her now ex-boyfriend.

She giggles, the type that would make any guy erected. She shifts her weight on one leg and rests her elbow on the counter. "We were in bad terms that time, okay? You can't blame me!" She smiles, showing a perfect set of white teeth that I envy her so much.

The bell jingles, indicating a new customer has arrived and our attention is brought towards the door. Here comes the one and only Sam Morgan, who probably comes here just for Crystal. Who can blame him? She's like a Barbie doll.

As soon as he arrives at the counter, I can feel Crystal change into her Damsel-In-Distress-Self: she has her head cocked to the side, while curling strands of hair with her finger and obviously showing her beautiful smile. "Hey, Sam!"

"Hey, Crystal!" He greets her back. "So, how are you two girls doing today?" He rests his elbows on the counter, leaning in while bouncing his foot.

"Doing great!" Crystal's pitch raises higher and I know for sure that she can't resist herself on him. I, on the other hand, think he's cute but I feel that him and Crystal are better off together, besides I'm not the type to steal someone else's 'property'. "Listen–" Crystal starts but gets cut off quickly.

"Hey, (Y/N), are you doing anything tonight?" He bites his lower lip and squints his eyes and I take that he's trying to hit on me. I am left speechless as I can feel Crystal's glare onto me. I don't even dare to look at her as I'm feeling awkward in the situation.

"Um..." I shift my look from him to the cashier keys. "Yeah, I'm–"

"She's going to my party tonight." Crystal cuts me off and I take that as a sign that we're back to bad terms again.

"Oh, well... That's too bad... I thought that I could ask you out on a date..." He places a hand on mine and my cheeks starts to heat up as I can feel Crystal's stare burning right through our hands. "But maybe this could be better."

I manage to raise my head to look at him and the look in his eyes makes it hard for me to say 'No'. My lips twitch in a sly smile and he kisses my hand before leaving the cafe.

- - - - -

It's surprising that Crystal hasn't told me to not come, but as I've known her through the years, she's probably going to get drunk as all hell tonight after what happened this morning.

I sit on a stool by the island in the kitchen, dressed like I'm ready for prom, only looking more sluttier than formal. The music reverberates around the house, strangers dancing with each other along the beat, some even eating each other's face off.

Having a drink in hand, barely even drinking it, I stare into the void of nothing. No thoughts enter my head as I don't have anybody here that I really know.

"Hey." A familiar voice peeks out from behind me and Sam sits on the stool beside me, spinning mine to face him. "You look bored, why don't we ditch this place and watch a film, huh?"

Being the good friend I am, I deny the request, "Crystal is much better with you."

"What? No." He elongates the 'No' and leans on the island. "Yeah, she's hot, but I like you better, (Y/N)."