Bitter Farewells (Sam Drake)

Not used to writing in second person, so I apologize in advance with the quality.

Disclaimer: I changed a scene from Chapter 16 a little bit for the sake of the story. . .

- - - - -

Tink.

Tink.

Tink.

A repeated noise wakes you up from your light sleep and you turn around to your alarm clock to see that it's midnight. The soft tapping noise coming from your window continues as pebbles are being thrown onto it. Walking towards your window, you see Sam standing right under you with a smile on his face as you open it.

"Let's go." He mouths but you look back at the door even after sneaking out multiple times. Looking down at your clothes, you think of changing into something more suitable: jeans and plain shirt. Once changing, you quickly jump down the window, landing in front of him.

"That jump could have been executed more smoothly." He says and you push his shoulder.

"Like you could do better." Both of you laugh as you rush to his bike and drive through the dark, empty street.

"So, where are we going this time?" You ask, resting your chin onto his shoulder and you see him smirk from the rear view mirror.

"Well, I found my mom's stuff and I want you to help me and Nathan get it." He says, speeding up the bike and you feel the corner of your lips raise. You knew how much he has been through the past eight years of his life, that hearing he found the missing link to his identity, it's great news.

You remember a time when you were five and he was a year older, you visited him and played at his house. The sun was shining bright and the grass felt soft underneath your feet when you played hide and seek with him. His parents and yours would be in the living room, sharing jokes and stories while giggles and laughter filled the environment.

- - - - -

The three of you have arrived at the abandoned mansion, climbing over the gate and up the second floor due to the locked front door. Sam had mentioned that he scoured the place for weeks to see no sign of life.

Walking inside, your breath is taken away by the vast amount of artifacts dating back to Ancient China and even further; the inside looking bigger than the outside, with walls taller than necessary but the furniture all covered in dust.

Sam lands right beside you, turning on his flashlight as he whistles with his eyes wide. "This will be a big job."

You silently agree with him, walking alongside him as you two look around the place while Nathan runs from one artifact to the other, spilling out historical information that you cannot help but smile.

"What are we looking for anyway?" You ask, shining the light at his face as he scrunched his nose.

"Do you mind?" He waves you off and you giggle, aiming the light at the darkness surrounding him. "Um, you remember the white, leather journal mom used to have?"

Picturing it, you remember it quite well. Whenever you were visiting their house, you always saw a white, leather journal on any surface. "Oh, I remember!" You exclaim as you look through the piles of boxes littered in the corner.

Going from one room to the other, you all reach to what you think is the living room.

Sam calls you and Nathan over. "Found it?" Nathan asks, coming over to it.

"No, but check this out," he has a polaroid in his hands. "Come on!" You and Nathan stand beside him, smiling at the camera as he clicks the button, the flash blinding you. The picture prints out and looking at the picture with the three of you has made you a little teary-eyed.