Fake Pancakes

Sorry it's majorly late. I apparently do not grasp the concept of time. But I did get a day off without something (too) major popping up and taking all of my time and energy, so yay!

I lock eyes with here. There is no way she could know about it. Only Tyler and I know about it, and he hid it so no one would find it even if they were looking. 

She doesn't know, I repeat to myself as I try to still my heart which is running circles in my chest. 

She inches closer to me, with the same big goofy grin on her face as when she knows she is about to get what she wants with her eyes staring into mine.

"So, mommy, can we?"

My mind goes blank, trying to search for an answer that would get her to leave the bed. Something, anything, but nothing comes.

"Well, um.."

"Lilian, leave her alone." A voice rings out, clear as glass and just as sharp. 

Looking up, I see Ms. Emily leaning in the doorway still in her nightgown, hair still tousled like she had just woken up. Her eyes lock on mine, as if she could sense how panicked I was. 

"I'll make you breakfast."

Lilian's eyes brightened at the thought of talking Ms. Emily into making pancakes. Of course it was that easy to get everyone out of the room-why didn't I think of that?

Ms. Emily beckoned for Lilian to follow her. Smiling from ear to ear, she came while taking Ms. Emily's hand and pulling her toward the kitchen. She looked me dead in the eyes and said in a robotic voice, "Go back to sleep. You could use it, and the Sandman is waiting for you."