Fake Heartstrings

I open my eyes just a crack, and take a quick look at my surroundings. I'm surrounded by the same tan walls as the hospital I work at, filling me with a sense of dread. If I was in here, it means everyone would know about my fainting spells and how I was the first new patient since we all got here. This means questions, and a lot of them. Sitting up, I glance at the night table next to me. They are unused in the other rooms, save for a clock noisily ticking away the minutes before the occupant wakes. Mine however, did not not have a clock, but instead had a slender white vase with a blue stripe down the sides. It was the kind intended to only hold one flower, however it was empty. I turn my head at the doorway, to see if there was any one who could have noticed that I was awake.
Suddenly, shadows appear lurking in the hallway, steadily approaching . I quickly lie back down as quietly as I could, hastily trying to smooth out the bedspread and close my eyes as a pair of figures start to enter the doorway.
I just hope they cannot hear my heart erratically beating at my rib cage.

A pair of fast, tiny footsteps scamper up to my bed side in squeaky shoes, followed by a slower larger set.

"Mommy, that's a pretty flower in your ear."

I'm grateful they did not hook me up to a heart monitor, hearing Lillian's voice would have given me away.

"Mommy, why aren't you awake?" Lillian's voice softly asks next to me, starting to sniffle.

I just wanted to wrap my arms around her, to comfort her and tell her that everything is okay.

"Mommy," her voice trails off, on the verge of tears."Ms. Emily, why isn't she waking up?"

"She had a long day and needs to rest. We can go read a story in the meantime. Have you heard of the Sandman?" Ms. Emily's voice asks as she slowly steps closer to the door, with a pair of tiny footsteps following.