Fake Warning

There was a sigh. I couldn't tell from who.

Drip.

"I do wish we knew what was going on in that pretty little head of hers. It would make our lives so much easier." Hunter's voice rang, softly but deafening in the silence.

Drip.

"You know the rules, Hunter. " The lower voice growls at my side, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. He had an air of authority that silenced the room. I hear the breathing at the end of the bed get shallower and softer with this.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

"How long has that drain been going? I better go take care of it!" The squeaky voice exclaims, cracking and getting higher with each word.

There is a sudden rush of footprints, running out of the room like a hiding animal that has just been found.

Drip.

Another sigh follows. This time, it must be from the deeper voiced male.

"Remember my warning. You will not get another."

There is no drip, just silence that seemed to stretch on.

"Follow the rules. You will not like the consequences of someone who cannot be a functioning member of our perfect utopia."

 I shudder. He wants to keep everyone here, and I just want to leave. Why doesn't he understand?

There is a slower, rhythmic trailing of confident footsteps out the door. 

All I can hear is another person's breathing slowly creeping closer.

"Some rules were meant to be broken" Says a soft, almost defeated voice dreadfully close to my head.

I feel something brush the skin behind my ear. Something was tucked behind it.

"Blue irises really do suit you" he whispered before softly padding out of the room.