CHAPTER ONE.

(Lea's Pov)

I sometimes wish I was a boy.

So, I would be treated with love and respect. So, I would have a easy life ahead of me - but sadly I was born a girl. I'm born into a family which treats women lower class and the men, higher. It's always been like that.

My parents expect the best from me, no matter what. They always want me to excel in everything I do. I guess I know why. My older sister, Mary, is twenty-two and mute. Since she's mute, she's treated different from 'people' and by 'people' I mean other human beings who are judgmental. 

Being mute has caused her a lot of trouble. She's treated like an outcast and when it comes to the most important thing in in life for them, Marriage. She has trouble being accepted by others despite my parents hard efforts in trying to make it happen.

I continued to stare up at the white ceiling in my room, letting my thoughts occupy my mind. My parents had a 'special guest' over tonight and I was sent to my room. However, Mary was allowed to stay and I knew exactly why.

They were trying to find Mary a husband, in other words; sell her off to someone. This was their lifestyle; arranged marriage. I despised it, and rather thought of it as forced marriage.

I mean, how can you arrange two complete strangers to get married to one another, without either of them knowing a single thing about each other? It was absurd, really. But nonetheless I had to put up with it, knowing my turn would come soon. It was just my unfortunate fate that I was born into this family.

I could hear their voices sounding from downstairs. They were chuckling, talking, and all appearing to have a good time. But I knew better. My parents would play an of acting at ease, whilst inside they intoxicated with anxiety, hoping that this man would be the one for my sister.  

Sighing, I slowly sat up on my bed, letting my eyes wander across my room. It was simple. I had my bed, my wardrobe and my desk full of books, all borrowed from the library, which I worked part-time at. To others, it may seem plain, boring or empty - but I liked it this way.

My parents weren't exactly rich, in-fact, we had a hard time coping with money. I guess some people could call us 'poor', but I'd just call ourselves slightly below average. Money was also the main reason my parents went through with selling us off to someone. 

It was just sad that we were essentially seen as cattles in their eyes. They'd raise us, feed us, make us look all pretty for anyone interested and as soon as a price was dropped, we'd be handed over without hesitation. 

I was brought out of my thoughts, when I heard the sound of knocking on my door. My brows furrowed and I went to open the door. My heart squeezed as soon as I saw the sight.

My older sister, Mary, had tears streaming down her face, as her bottom lip quivered. I saw the emotions of sadness, embarrassment, shame and lastly rejection, all clear in her brown eyes. 

If anything, I thought my sister was completely beautiful. With her long, blonde hair, brown innocent eyes - she looked like a model. She had both my parents' genes, where as I; looked like none of them.

I shook off my thoughts and wrapped my arms around Mary, letting her cry into my shoulder as I gently rubbed her back. Inaudible sniffles left her lips and I sighed, kissing the side of her head.

Slowly, I led her inside of my room, gently closing the door behind me and then took a seat on the bed beside Mary. She was shaking slightly, tears still present on her flushed cheeks.

"I'm sorry, Mary. They're just stupid people, okay? I'm sure one of these days it will happen." I tried my best to comfort her. She shook her head, making a gesture which said 'When?'.