CHAPTER THREE.

(Lea's Pov)

After picking out several books from the library, I had made my way back home. Only to find my mother on the phone, talking in her 'polite', 'innocent' tone. If only the person on the other end knew it was just an act.

I gently closed the front-door behind me, not wanting to capture her attention. Instead, she captured mine. I tried my hardest to ignore her conversation and not to eavesdrop, but when I heard my name being mentioned, it was almost impossible.

She was in the kitchen, stirring a pot, which was cooking on the stove. Her other hand was holding the phone to her ear, a grin spread out on her lips. I grabbed an apple and took a seat on the kitchen stool, not looking up at her as she spoke.

"Tomorrow, you say?...no, no - that's perfect...what will the price be again?...500 thousand?!
I-I understand. Okay, I'll see you tomorrow. You too."

A loud scream of excitement left her lips.

"Martin! Get in here!" She yelled in excitement, calling my father into the room. I stayed quiet, hearing my father's footsteps grow closer, indicating he was approaching us.

"What is it, honey?" He questioned, his tone sounding surprised and annoyed slightly. I inwardly cringed from hearing him call her honey. It made me sick seeing how loving and sweet he was to my mother compared to how he treated me. 

"They offered 500-thousand dollars!" She breathed, a large grin on her lips. My brows furrowed as I silently munched on my apple, trying my hardest to figure out who offered them such a grand amount of money and what for.

And what did it have to do with me?

I did hear my name being mentioned, after all.

"Fuck, 500 thousand?! We're going to be rich!" My father shouted, his hands clenching in excitement. 

"What for?" I found myself saying. Both of my parents turned to face me and immediately their faces scrunched up with annoyance and disgust. I tried not to show any signs of hurt.

"That's none of your business." My father muttered, silencing me. As if it was a reflex, I tore my eyes away from his and stared down at my lap.

"B-But I heard my name..." I mumbled to myself, but soon regretted it.

"What did you say?" He questioned, his tone falling angry. I found myself shaking on spot, nervous and afraid.

Why can't I just keep my mouth shut?!

"I-It's just...I-I heard Ma say my name." I explained whilst stuttering. The apple fell into my lap as I played with my cardigan's sleeve.

"Oh, you were eavesdropping now?" My mother decided to join in. I hung my head down in shame, taking in small, deep breaths.

"I-I'm sorr - Aah!" I was cut off from my apology, when feeling a sharp sting occur to my head. My father had grabbed my ponytail, dragging me off my seat and throwing me to the ground.

Tears built in my eyes, feeling the agonizing pain occurring from the top of my head.

"Disrespectful little bitch! Did we not teach you any manners?!" He raised his voice, tugging harder on my hair. I weakly sat on the ground, begging, crying, pleading for him to stop.

"I-I'm sorry." I cried, allowing the tears to fall. His grip tightened and a scream of pain left my lips.

"You know, I'm getting sick of hearing your worthless apologizes - I can't wait till you're fucking gone!" He growled, finally letting go of my hair. I panted heavily, my hands flying to my head, where I massaged it, hoping it would soothe down the pain.