Chapter Two - The After Party

The next day I woke up in my small room. Nobody else was up yet, apart from Matt at the back of the ship, but that's because he was on night watch. He was nursing his hangover with a video game.
"Hey Matt" I said, slumping myself on the sofa.
"Hey Boss! Enjoy the party last night?".
"Yeah, it was great", I said enthusiastically, trying to hide the fact that the reminder of last night send a bolt of pain through my chest. I quickly changed the subject.

"So, got anything planned for me today?". I asked, getting off the sofa.
"Nah, but I'm sure Kinzie has a few flashpoints she wants you to handle".

I nodded and walked up the stairs to the Rec Room and logged onto the computer. I put headphones in so I wouldn't wake anyone.

Kinzie told me that the Zin had been tapping into our conversations for years and recorded things we had been saying. When Zinyak made the simulation, he scattered audio logs for us to find over time. I had collected all of them at this point. I replayed my favourite one.

"Have to admit, didn't think much of the boss when they first joined the crew. Thought there was no way they were gonna make it through being canonized, let alone be any help takin' over Stilwater. Hell, they didn't even talk back then. But after that shit with the Vice Kings, I knew we found ourselves one hell of a Saint. There's nothing the boss can't do".

I could feel tears threatening to spill down my face -  Johnny was the only one who believed in me although the Saints. Everyone had their doubts with me at one point, but not Johnny. Yeah, he roughed me up a bit, but he was always pushing me to my full potential.

I logged out and planned to run back to my room and sleep off the distressing feelings I had building inside of me, but when I turned around I saw Johnny leaning on the door way.

"Jesus shit Gat, you scared the crap out of me" I snapped, walking past him out of the door.

"Wait a second Boss" he said, grabbing my arm and pulling me back.
"What is it?" I asked, wanting to run as fast as I could out of the room.
"I just wanna say I'm sorry for acting like that last night".
"Thank you". I gave him a small smile and proceeded to walk by him.

In my head I was screaming at myself for telling Johnny how I felt. It had fucked up everything between him and I.

I went back to my room and slept for a couple more hours. When I got up everyone was awake and working quietly. I went to visit Kinzie in her little hidden bean bag spot under the stairs.

"Hey Kinzie, have you got anything for me today?" I asked.
"As always Boss. I want you to clear two flashpoints, then upload a virus just outside a Friendly Fire store. The virus is pretty big and will take a few minutes to download so you'll have to take someone with you into the simulation to stop you from getting overflowed with Zin".
"Why can't I just use a tank?" I questioned.
"Well, I'm having a little trouble with getting the tanks into to simulation. Hopefully the virus you install will fix that".
"Okay Kinzie, tell Shaundi to meet me at the pod room" I said, beginning to walk away.
"Sorry can't do that Boss. Shaundi, Pierce and Asha are helping to create and test a new gun, and Matt is working on another virus. It looks like Johnny's your only free option at the moment" Kinzie smiled, unaware of the awkward encounter I just had with Gat.

"Oh okay," I said, quickly running up the stairs. My heart was pounding and I felt scared - a feeling which rarely occurred to me.

"Hey Boss" a familiar voice said. I knew exactly who it was and I didn't want to turn around.
"Yes Johnny?" I sighed.
"We have to get to the simulation pod room" he said.

I followed him to the pod room and hopped into my usual pod.

"Remember two flashpoints and a virus injection. That's all. Then I want you two back to the ship". I nodded and Johnny lowered his signature sunglasses to wink at Kinzie as she
closed the pods and sent us on our way.

A/N - please let me know if you like this story 😇