Chapter 2

So, it's been a week since I first arrived in Smallville and made my presence known at the not so originally titled Smallville High, home of the Spartans.

Once we had unpacked everything in the new house my Dad went straight off to work at the military base which meant I'd hardly seen him at all. Usually a 17 year old like myself would be jumping up and down for a chance to have the house to themselves for a few days but, when you're in a town you don't know, you live in the middle of nowhere and the only source of company is the TV then you could understand it wasn't such an amazing prospect.

There was one thing though that managed to keep my mind occupied even after only a few days, the mysterious Clark Kent. I hadn't spoken to him again since that first day in the school corridor but that didn't mean he didn't go unnoticed to me.

Two days after what I have now decided to call 'the incident' I spotted Clark walking through a crowded study hall. With the way he looked and how tall he was, he was hard to miss. He stood out like a sore thumb, at least to me anyway. He had his head hung low, kept out of peoples way and didn't make eye contact with a single soul, almost like he didn't trust the people around him. Like he was just waiting for something to happen that would put him in the spotlight and that if that did happen it would be the worst possible scenario for him.

A couple more days had passed and it was my last day at school before a much needed weekend. I'd got acquainted with a few people since I arrived but none so well that I'd spend lunch with them or hang out between classes. When those times came I'd headed straight to the library, worked on some homework or did some research. Saved me doing it at home I thought.

On that Friday it was hot outside, beautiful sunshine engulfed the town and it was a rare sight for me. For some reason the rain and clouds seemed to follow my Dad and me everywhere we travelled to. Whether it was our bad luck or just coincidence remains a mystery but I was going to make sure that I savoured every ray of light and sun that I could.

As soon as the bell rang for lunch I grabbed my things and headed for the exit, hoping there would be a vacant piece of grass or a tree I could sit under and relax. Turns out most of the student body had the same idea as me and space was scarce.

I crossed the entire football field and up ahead I saw a tree with a little bit of grass underneath, so I took my spot. I sat down immediately so no one could claim it at the last minute and rested my back against the trunk. Today I decided to work on some sketches, one of my favourite past times was drawing and seeing as I was up to date with all my work for the week I thought this was a good way to go.

After half an hour I'd filled up 2 sheets of A4 paper with various scribbles and doodles. It was so therapeutic. The perfect way for me to take my mind off worrying what my Dad was doing, where my life was headed. How long it would be before I had to up sticks and move again. As a result I had failed to notice that for the entire time I had been there I had been sharing that tree. It was the sound of ringing cell phone that alerted me to the presence of someone. Rather than take a peek to see who it was that had been sitting there so silently, I did what everyone else would have done. I listened in.

"Hey Mom. Are you ok?" The person asked after answering the phone. That voice sounded familiar.

After a few agreeable grunts and sighs in response to some unheard question he continued.

"Yeah sure I'll stop off at the store on the way home."

"Love you too, Mom. Cya later," the deep voice finished. He did care about someone, he did have feelings. Maybe he was human after all.

During my little eaves dropping session I hadn't realised that I had slowly edged myself closer to him on the other side of the tree, just wanting to make sure that it was actually him. I don't know why I felt suddenly happier when I realised who it was. I just did.