Chapter 23

The military quickly descended on the Kent farm, not hesitating in securing Clark's capsule by tether to a very ostentatious cargo plane. Joining Colonel Hardy in the aircraft Clark and I made our back to the military base, our main objective to work out exactly how we were going to stop Zod and his world engine from taking over the planet.

"That engine is floating right over Metropolis, just above the skyline. A lot of people are going to die if we don't warn them."

Since we'd landed and were joined by Dr Hamilton and General Swanwick the conversation became one of military strategy. Who do they have to call in? How many personnel would they need? What planes, weapons and defence are at their disposal.

Me, I was thinking about all of the people in the city, Perry, Jenny and everyone else I worked with at the paper. People I saw in the park every day went I went for a run, the barrister at my local coffee shop, the mail man who wished me a good morning every day.

Sure, if we didn't stop this altogether everybody would die anyway. Once the Earth's atmosphere had changed to that of Krypton's human life would cease to be, even Clark would suffer. His body had adapted to Earth. I saw firsthand what that change could do to his body. It nearly killed him up on Zod's ship. If he was exposed for a prolonged period of time he would become just as vulnerable as the rest of us.

"With all due respect Miss Lake, if we don't act now everybody is going to die." No shit Sherlock. Who does Swanwick he his? Does he think I'm stupid or something?

"Do you think I don't know that? Do you think I don't know how bad this is? I work in Metropolis, everybody I know bar a couple of people live in and work in that city, right below where that engine is about to target. We have to at least warn them. Give them some time to run, to call their families. We have to do something."

I could feel my palms getting clammy, my heart rate started to increase and my breathing became laboured. I was so going to have a panic attack. I am not cut out for this, none of it.

"Lauren, look at me? Just take deep breaths. We're going to beat him ok?" Clark could see that I was on the brink of becoming hysterical. He quickly grabbed hold of my hands, not caring that half the military was watching and proceeded to place his forehead upon mine.

"Now breathe in time with me. Stay calm. We can do this."

"We can do this. We can do this."

Eventually I managed to calm down, my heart going back to normal along with my breathing. I was not about to let go of Clark's hands though. I wasn't ready for that, not yet.

"The craft that Superman arrived in maxes out at 17,000 pounds, we can drop it out of a C17." Nice to see that Colonel Hardy wasn't letting my little episode distract him from the task at hand. I really needed to get my act together.

"You want us to bomb them with that?" Dr Hamilton pointed in disbelief to the ship behind us.

"It's the only way to make the drives collide. Our only chance," Clark pushed, knowing just as much as I that our options were limited.

"It's a viable plan," Colonel Hardy added.

"But wait? The world engine is in two parts. There's the half that is over Metropolis and the other is over the Indian Ocean. Without destroying both parts it will be pointless. The black hole can't be created. They won't be pulled back in." Wait a go Lauren, being all clever.

"That's why I have to stop the machine over the Indian Ocean. Otherwise the gravity field will continue to expand. We'll have even less time," Clark put forward, General Swanwick quick to agree with this plan of action and then hurrying away with the Colonel to put it into place.