Chapter 17

The amount of information Jor-El had revealed to Clark and I had me in a mind spin. If it was doing this to me, god knows what must have been running through Clark's head. He'd been searching for answers for so long, his life revolved around it. He'd had so many questions. Now, taking it all in, it was if he'd forgotten all words in existence. It must have been shock, something. It was so much to take in.

After a while, and a second run through of all the information, Jor-El tried to convince Clark or Kal as he called him to try on the suit I had spotted earlier. With the 'S' shaped emblem of hope emblazoned on the chest Jor-El said it signified Clark's promise to guide mankind into the light, his vow to help make it a better place.

All Clark had to do was step into the area where the suit was mounted and the ship would do all the work. It would take his measurements, adjust the foundations of the suit accordingly and then would be ready and waiting to go. Clark would go in and Kal would come out. Why did that scare me so much?

"Clark, wait?" I called out, taking his hand and trying to pull him back as he began making his way towards the suit of red and blue.

"What's wrong?"

"What if you're not the same when this is all over? What happens to Clark? What happens to you? I'm scared."

"Lauren, listen to me. I'm scared too. I don't know what's going to happen either," Clark cupping my cheek as he stared directly at me with his icy blues.

"I am sure of one thing though."

"What?" I was trembling now, every inch of my body shaking. Was it the nerves, the adrenaline, the sub-zero temperatures? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a culmination of all of those things.

"I'm sure that whatever happens I'll still be Clark. This has always been a part of me. I just didn't know about it. I already feel so much lighter. Maybe this is what I need so we can be finally happy, together."

He was right. I could see it in his face, in his eyes. The permanent crease in his brow was gone. The dark, unsure gaze that he often wore had disappeared. Standing in front of me, holding on to me was a man who now had his future in his grasp. He knew who he was, what he wanted, what he needed. Who am I to stop him reaching for that?

Placing my forehead upon his, I breathed him in, committed this moment to memory. Things would be different now. Things would change.

We both looked at each other, our heads still in place and arms now wrapped around each other. Sharing a quick but love filled kiss I resigned myself to the future unknown. Slowly, I pulled back, just enough to see his face in front of mine and with one nerve filled smile said,

"Go get em farm boy."

Letting me go completely, Clark made his way towards the suit, stopping momentarily to gain instructions from the hologram of his late father.

"All you must do is place your hand upon the crest. Once in place the ship will sync your biology to the suit, the connection will be complete and your destiny set in motion."

"It won't hurt him, will it?" I called out hesitantly.

"No harm shall come to Kal. A smoke screen shall appear during the transition, but nothing more. It's vapours are what connect the suit to the body. It will take but a couple of seconds. Do not fret my lady."

"I'll be fine Lauren. It's ok," Clark half smiled back at me, now only inches away from the caped apparel. He was nervous, I could tell. I'd known him long enough. The way his smile didn't reach his eyes was a dead giveaway.

"Go forth my son."

With that last piece of encouragement, Clark took the final step and I, I held my breath. This was it. It was time.