Chapter 21

Stepping on to the ship it was clear that it was not of this world, the interior and style very similar to that on the arctic ship where Clark and I found out so much.

We were led into a dark corridor, Clark refusing to move from my side as we went. We kept stealing glances at each other, looks of fear and uncertainty etched on to both of our faces.

The woman who brought us here walked up ahead, leaving us unsure of what we were about to face. Whenever she wasn't looking our way Clark made to close the distance between us. Whether it be holding my hand in his, rubbing up and down my back to comfort me or even placing a kiss or two onto my hair and forehead. He had resigned himself to this, what may or may not happen to him. What he hadn't betted on was that I'd standing alongside him. I can't remember ever seeing him this tense.

I took Clark's pendant, key thing out of his hand, him urging me to with just a silent gesture of the head. I wanted him to keep hold, but he seemed adamant. That action alone completely freaked me out. Why would I need it if we were going to stick together anyway?

"The atmospheric composition of this ship is not compatible with humans. You will need to wear a breather beyond this point," the woman said matter of factly, scaring me the hell out when she put a piece of metal apparatus over my head. An electrical type bubble over the face making it so I could still see.

"How do I know this thing isn't just some way of poisoning me?" I asked in distrust, my eyes locking with hers.

"You don't," she simply stated. Well that put my mind at ease.

No other words were spoken as Clark and I were led out to some kind of platform, glass shielding us from the outside. The view in front of us was unbelievable. It was Earth, Earth from space. I was in fricking space.

As that notion hit me I realised that I had to get my priorities straight. I was standing next to the person I love more than anything in the world and we were facing someone who had made it pretty clear he was an enemy. General Zod was the epitome of evil, just the clothes on his back and the look on his face enough to determine he was the bad guy.

Even with the breather securely in place I was finding it hard to catch my breath. I was about to have a panic attack, a full blown episode right up here in space. God, I don't half pick my timing.

"Kal-El," Zod confirmed, placing his attention on Clark as I stood worried at his side. Hold it together Lauren. Clark needs you to be strong right now.

"You have no idea how long we've been searching for you."

"I take it you're Zod?" Clark asked, with his jaw clenched and his teeth gritted. Was he shaking?

"General Zod. Our Commander..." the woman who'd been keeping us company voiced in anger.

"It's alright Faora. We can forgive Kal-El any lapses in decorum." So that's her name.

As Zod went on and on about not wanting conflict, yeah I believed that, I noticed that there was something up with Clark. His skin had gone pale and clammy, he was swaying on the spot and he kept squeezing his eye lids shut. He looked really sick. I'd never seen Clark look that way. There was something terribly wrong.

"Are you ok?" I questioned in worry, not caring that I was interrupting General Plods speech.

"I feel strange, weak."

He started coughing then, panting and trembling to the point where he could no longer stay on his feet. As he collapsed to the ground at my side and blood started to sputter out of his mouth I went into full on protect Clark mode. I couldn't let myself fall apart. Clark needed me to be strong. The blood though. There was so much blood. Clark doesn't bleed.