Chapter 10

So I'd be forgiven for thinking that romantic encounters between best friends don't always go the way you want them to. There's the awkwardness straight afterwards, the silent car rides, the mental questioning. Should we have taken that step? Is this going to ruin our friendship? Or could this be the start of something amazing?

Immediately after Clark and I had shared our first kiss he made some random excuses and left my house as quick as his feet would carry him. I was left just standing there wondering if the last 5 minutes had actually happened. One minute he was opening up to me, sharing his deepest feelings and thoughts, then next after a moment of weakness and impulse it was like he couldn't get away from me fast enough.

For the rest of Saturday and the whole of Sunday I didn't hear a word from him, not a call, a text, nothing. Usually I was the type of person who would grab the bull by the horns and contact him myself to ask what was going on, but with Clark it was different, I was different. I was terrified by what he would say if he did answer a call I made. I was scared that I'd lose him and I couldn't face that. What if he thought it was all one big mistake? If that was the case I don't know how I'd handle it. That kiss, in my mind was one of the best things that happened to me in a long time.

By Monday morning I'd gone past the worried, hesitant phase. Now I was just angry. He was supposed to be my best friend. He played just as much a part in it as I did, maybe more and now he was ignoring me. This wasn't something that I could just brush under the carpet and pretend didn't happen. I had to talk to him and I had to talk to him today.

Usually he always drove me to school and judging by the last couple of days I knew there was a chance that wouldn't be the case. To be honest I didn't want Clark to think I was just sitting at home the whole time, looking out the window waiting for any sign of him. Truth was that was pretty much what I was doing but he didn't need to know that.

As I result of my over thinking and wanting to show Clark that I didn't need him I caught the bus to school that morning. I even left half an hour earlier than I would need to just so I could avoid him at the house should he come by to pick me up. I never knew with Clark.

When I arrived at school it was still pretty empty, just me and a few other early risers wandering the halls. I killed some time in the library finishing off some last minute English papers I was due to hand in and before I knew it the bell was ringing for class.

The first couple of lessons passed in a confused blur. I couldn't get Clark off of my mind. I was elated at what had happened, angry at how he'd reacted afterwards and scared about what this meant for us all at the same time. I couldn't understand why he was acting the way he was. I thought that by the time I reached recess I'd have built up enough confidence and resolve to confront him, to question him. However, it was the total opposite. I had no idea how to deal with it, no idea what to say and for what was a first in all the time I'd known Clark Kent I dreaded seeing him.

Turns out that Monday morning was not destined to go the way I planned, because as soon as I reached my locker during the first break of the day there he was waiting for me.

"Where were you this morning?" He asked in a troubled tone after I'd completely ignored him, fumbling around my locker and exchanging my books.

"Like you care," I responded. He could have no doubt now that I was angry. I couldn't even look at him.

"Lauren don't say that. You know I care."

"Really, I do, do I? If you really cared you wouldn't have run out and given me the silent treatment the way you did," I said through trembling lips, looking up at him and seeing nothing but confusion and uncertainty.