Chapter 13

"Clark?"

"What are you doing here?" He looked stunned, still gripping on to my hand as he gazed into my eyes with a creased brow.

"I'm on a story. My editor assigned me to write a piece about what's going on here. Clark how do you know about this? I thought your phone wasn't working?"

"Oh, I misplaced it a couple of weeks ago. Wait, how did you know my phone wasn't working?" Clark asked in hushed whispers so nobody would hear. Not that they would in this climate anyway.

"I called your Mom and told her about the UFO so she could tell you. She couldn't get hold of you so I've been trying right up until I landed. So how are you here?"

"I've been working in a bar and I overheard some Canadian Airman talking about this a few days ago. I hitchhiked here and got on the payroll. I've just been keeping a low profile, listening and watching. Lauren, I can't believe you're here," he half smiled. Even through a rugged beard I knew what expression he was pulling, it was all in the eyes.

For the next few moments I just stood there staring at him, almost like he'd disappear again if I looked away. I was right about everything I thought would happen when I finally did come face to face with him. Just one look, one half grin and he was forgiven. Nothing had changed, there was still that invisible magnet pulling us together and I knew from the way he reacted to seeing me that he felt exactly the same way. There was no way I was letting him out my sight, not now.

"Miss Lake, are you coming?" One of the soldiers called out to me. I guess they wanted to take me to camp so they could get back to work.

"Uh yeah sorry, I'm coming," I smiled, being pulled out of my Clark, Lauren bubble suddenly.

"Go ahead," Clark grinned pushing me forward and leaning down to pick up my bags.

Walking in front of Clark it wasn't long before I had caught up to Eubanks who was the person that was given the task of briefing me and getting me up to speed with what was going on. This was good. It meant I could find out some information that Clark wouldn't be privy to doing the job he was assigned.

"I've got to confess Miss Lake, I'm not usually the biggest fan of the Daily Planet," he said as we walked through the thick, compacted snow.

"Some of the stories you've written alongside the 1st division were very impressive though."

"What can I say? I get writers block if bullet proof vests and danger aren't involved. I guess it's the military brat upbringing," I responded as we continued along the vast valley.

"I'm sorry about your father Miss Lake. I didn't have the pleasure of working alongside the General but from what I've heard he was an asset to his corp."

"Thank you. It means a lot that you would say that and I really appreciate being given the opportunity to be here," I couldn't help but tear up. So much had happened in the last few minutes. Not only had I been reunited with Clark after so long but now this as well. My emotions were all over the place.

As we continued the walk towards the camp I resisted the urge to turn and look at Clark. I could hear his crunching footsteps behind me so I knew he was still there. I didn't want to bring unwanted attention to him so made a point of keeping fully immersed in the conversation with Eubanks and on the sight before me.

When we reached the ridge and the location of base camp it was clear that there was an extensive operation going on and all of the rumours about this UFO were true. The remote outpost which would usually have housed no more than 50 had ballooned into a miniature city supported by US and Canadian troops. Temporary structures consisting of insulation draped over steel and aluminium dotted the entire area. Barracks, garages, hangers and mess halls had sprung up all over the place and mechanical earth movers were busy carving out settlement in the compacted snow and ice.