Chapter 5

After hearing all of the stories about Clark this morning from Whitney my mind has been reeling over what to do next. Should I tell Clark that I've discovered all of this new information? Should I not tell him? Ignorance is bliss and all that. I mean saving a bus full of people single handed is a big deal so he must have had a good reason not to tell me. Maybe he was worried about my reaction. Maybe he thought I'd turn on him like everyone else did or maybe he just didn't know how to tell me.

My first thought was to keep it to myself. I thought I knew everything about Clark Kent but that was far from the truth. Did that have a negative impact on how I felt about him? Not in the slightest. If anything I felt closer to him now. I wanted to look after him, to protect him. Everyone needs someone watching their back no matter how strong they are. I knew that Clark trusted me and I also knew that it was just a matter of time before he'd relay this information to me himself. That's what I wanted. I wanted him to trust me so much without doubt, that one day he'd tell me what really took place and not just what everyone thinks happened.

Turns out however all of these thoughts, these silent back and forth questions to myself were a complete waste of time because the second Clark saw me walking towards him and what we now call "our tree" during lunch he knew something was wrong, something was off. He could read me like a book.

"Hey, what's up?" He asked with a crease in his brow, immediately jumping to his feet when I approached.

"Nothing. I'm fine Clark," I responded faking a smile.

"Lauren how many times do I have to tell you that I know when you're lying to me?" Clark questioned, putting his hand on my shoulder and looking me straight on.

"Oh yeah. I forgot about that," rolling my eyes when I realised he was totally right. How did I ever think I could keep my new knowledge from him?

"So are you going to tell me what's wrong?"

"Clark, I don't even think there is something wrong. I guess it's the way you perceive it, but I will tell you. Can we walk and talk though? I don't really fancy having this conversation surrounded by prying eyes," I thought, looking around at all the other students who were enjoying recess by congregating into groups around the school field.

"Sure, let's go," he smiled nervously, picking up his bags and gesturing me towards the woods that surrounded the Smallville High grounds.

"So what is it?" Clark bluntly asked, taking a seat on a fallen tree trunk, far enough from the school that no one could hear us but close enough that we would still be able to hear the bell when it was time to go back to class. With a sigh I started.

"I was paired up with Whitney Fordman in Science. He kept calling you all these names and it made me really angry. He wanted to prove to me that he was right about you."

"You mean that I'm some kind of freak?" Clark interrupted.

"Yeah I guess. He told me about your first day at school when you locked yourself in the janitors closet and then about saving all the kids on that bus, how you pushed it out of the river with just your hands," I finished, watching for Clark's reaction to finding out I knew all of this. He looked down at the ground, started playing nervously with his hands and breathed heavily before saying,

"So did he prove it to you? Do you think I'm a freak now?" Clark suddenly voiced in what could only be described as a worried tone, looking up at me slowly and with unsure eyes.

"Clark you are not a freak and you should never be ashamed of what you did that day. I don't know how you did it, I can't even begin to imagine how you did but you saved all those people. If it wasn't for you they would have all died. You're a hero Clark."