Chapter 22

Beep...beep...beep...beep...beep

What is that noise? Whoever is making that incessant beeping will you shut it the hell up? Can't you see I'm trying to sleep?

Prying my eyes open I immediately was aware of two things. 1, my vision was as blurry as that Robin Thicke song. 2, a warm, pounding throb on the side of my head had me coming to the conclusion that my skull had been completely smashed to smithereens.

As my body began to wake up and I became more aware of my surroundings I started to panic. The last thing I remember was being trapped in the fireball of a space egg pod thing whilst I crashed to Earth, death more than likely on my cards. Now I find myself lying in a bed so uncomfortable that even bugs would complain and attached to some kind of heart monitor. The room I was in didn't look like one in a hospital though. It was too basic, too dirty. Where the hell was I? Better yet, where was Clark?

"HELLO?" I bellowed as loud as my dry throat would let me, trying and failing to sit up without the room spinning.

"HELLO?" I screamed again, this time taking it a bit more slowly, managing to sit upright and finally get a good look at my surroundings.

Other than the bed I was in, the heart monitor I was attached to and one lonesome chair in the corner, there was nothing. No give away on where I was or how I got here.

"Miss Lake," a familiar voice sounded, opening the door at the left of me.

"Dr Hamilton?" Oh no. I know exactly where I am.

"I'm at the army base aren't I?" I couldn't have sounded more infuriated if I tried.

"Yes Miss Lake you are. Superman brought you here."

"Who's Superman?" Wow Lauren, how dumb are you?

"The man who you went off into space with, the one you've been pretending you don't know." Oops, they got me.

"So they're calling him Superman now?"

"Yes, everybody is. I assume it's because of the 'S' on his suit."

"It's not an S."

"What do you m..."

"Never mind about that. We've got more important things to be worrying about. When did he bring me here? How long have I been out?"

"About an hour ago. He said you had hit your head and were unconscious by the time he reached you." God, he must have been worried sick.

"Was he ok?"

"He seemed physically fine. He looked very angry though and was quick to leave. Something about trouble in Smallville." Why would there be trouble in Smallville? What was there that Zod would want? Oh crap...the capsule. They're at the farm.

Putting my hand to my head I could feel a small bandage covering obviously what must have been some form of cut. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt like a whole lot. I'm also pretty sure I had a bit of a concussion and shouldn't be doing what I plan on.

"You need to take me to General Swanwick," I demanded, standing on shaking feet and ripping off the heart sensor from my finger.

"You have sustained a head injury Miss Lake. You're not free to go anywhere."

"Last time I checked you were a Doctor of Science. You know nothing about what is wrong with me, so don't pretend you do. Right now my head can't wait, the world can't. If we don't move now, we might lose everything."

After a little more convincing Dr Hamilton gave in and took me to General Swanwick. It didn't take me long to go over everything that had happened on Zod's ship, most importantly the information that Jor-El had relayed to me. If Zod got his hands on that capsule, we'd have no way of stopping him. We had to get to it first, there was no other way.