Chapter 24

Bucky was sitting next to the computer, with the file open when Willow wheeled her way into the kitchen the next morning. 

 "Morning Bucko! How'd you sleep?", Willow said, smiling.

 Bucky stared at her blankly, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

 Bucky stood up, "That I was the one who did this to you! " he shouted.

 Willow wheeled her chair closer to him, staring up at him, "Because it didn't matter!"

"How could it not matter? How could you let me stay here, after what I did to you? How could you be my friend after I put you in that wheelchair?" Bucky's voice broke.

 "Sit down James Barnes," Willow snapped. "I didn't tell you, because I don't care. HYDRA did this to me, not you. You had no control over your actions, I know you didn't. So YOU didn't do this, HYDRA did this. I wanted you to remember what HYDRA made you do to me on your own."

"But how could you not tell me?"

"Because it's my spine that's covered in molten metal, not yours! Because it's my past, as well. And most importantly, because, Bucky, I've forgiven you. What happened, it made me who I am today. I made it through, and I'm stronger because of it."

 Bucky didn't think he could look at her everyday, knowing that he was the one who'd put her in that wheelchair. As though Willow sensed his thoughts, she began to speak again, "I forgive you Bucky."

 She wheeled closer, and grabbed his good hand, "Look at me. I know what you are feeling right now, that you can't move on. So buckle your seatbelt, and allow me to tell you a story."

     She pulled down on Bucky's arm until he was forced to sit, now they were on eye level. "After the accident, I was in a coma for six weeks. When I woke up the first thing I heard the doctor say was that I would never walk again. I wanted to give up, I wished that I'd died. I couldn't get up in the morning. But then I realized, I've only got one life, and I am not going to let this chair stop me from living it to the fullest. Just like you are going to overcome the troubles in your past, you're going to find a way to move on. We all have scars, we all have a history, some you can see," Willow gestured down at her wheelchair, "And some you can't. It's up to us to figure out how to cope. So instead of blaming your for the accident, I forgive you. Now you need to forgive yourself."

  Willow leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Bucky in a hug. At first Bucky resisted, but then he wrapped his arms around as well. "I forgive you Bucky," Willow whispered. "I forgive you."