Chapter 28

Kicking open the door to the compound, Bucky fired on the two HYDRA agents who were aiming their rifles at Steve. The next few minutes were filled with gunfire and the sound of cracking bones, Falcon using Redwing to fire on agents from behind. 

 Scarlet Witch ran up to the group, "I just interrogated an agent. Willow is on the base."

 Bucky felt an immense surge of relief, followed by horror. What were they doing to Willow? What if they were too late?

 "This way," Wanda led the way down the dark steel corridor.

 Bucky could hear someone screaming from deeper inside the compound, he prayed that it wasn't Willow. Russian words sprayed in red paint decorated the walls, every sound caused Bucky to jump. 

 Ahead of them was a large iron door, the screaming had stopped. Bucky hoped against hope that when they found Willow, she would still remember her name. 

"In there," said Wanda, shooting magic at the door, causing the bolts to slide open. The doors swung open, revealing a room filled with HYDRA agents.

 Before anyone could attack, the HYDRA agents parted like the red sea. Revealing Willow sitting completely still, her hands tied to a chair, no one moved as Bucky walked toward her. 

 "Willow? Willow, can you hear me?"

 Willow's eyes were white, and her face was a picture of intense concentration. Sweat beaded on her forehead, and her hands were shaking. 

 A HYDRA agent stepped up from the ranks and spoke, "Bucky."

 Spinning around in surprise, Bucky aimed his pistol at the agent's head. The agent put his hands up, "Don't shoot me. It's Willow. I'm possessing all of them at the same time, it's ripping my brain apart, so please hurry. We need to get everyone out of here."

 At a nod from Steve, Falcon and Wanda began herding the HYDRA agents out of the room. They walked like Zombie's with no will of their own. As gently as possible, Bucky untied Willow's hands and picked her up. Willow's eyes glowing with light, her head resting on Bucky's chest as he carried her. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Once they were inside the jet and all the HYDRA agents were in a containment unit, Willow's eyes stopped glowing as she released them and she swore as her consciousness returned to her own mind. "Ow."

  "How did you do that?" Steve demanded.

"It was easy, their minds are so empty and blank. But God, I never want to do that again, I don't think my minds ever been pushed to that limit."

 Bucky then noticed that he was still holding Willow, she barely weighed anything, and he wanted to keep her close to him, keep her safe.

  "Bucky, would you please put me down, this is getting awkward." Reluctantly, Bucky set Willow down in a seat that was secured to the wall of the plane. "Just so everyone knows, I'm never getting inside a HYDRA agent's mind again. The thoughts those men were thinking. Ugh. THIS is why animals are better than people."