1: On Top Of The World

"Traceyy!" a familiar voice called. It was music to my ears. I closed my locker to come face to face with my best friend Bianca Rodriguez. This girl was so beautiful, it almost hurt to look at her. Her caramel colored skin is smooth like a baby's. She had a full head of curly dark brown locks, and when she straightened it, it reached her butt. Her big hazel eyes were her biggest weapon. She could get anyone to do anything she wants for her by just batting her eyelashes and throwing in some puppy dog eyes. She has a nice figure to top it all off too. It's no surprise that half the boys in school worshipped the ground she stood on.

"So, I heard that David finally asked you out yesterday! Why didn't you tell me?" Bianca looked sad, her pouty lips gave it away. She loved to be in the know, so anything I didn't tell her, she took it as an insult.

"I was so wrapped up in the moment, screaming it out to the world wasn't at the top of my list of priorities," I chuckled. "Who told you anyway?"

"Tremaine, of course. He sounded like an excited little schoolgirl when he told me. I wouldn't be surprised if half the school knows by now!" she smiled.

Of course Tremaine told her. He couldn't keep a secret if his life depended on it, he's always had a big mouth. Trey has been Bianca and I's best friend since we are all in diapers. Our parents all knew each other, and since there is some unspoken law that friends must force their children together, we all spent copious amounts of time with each other. Not that we minded. Trey became friends with David in middle school, and he fit in with our group like he always belonged.

I laughed. "I guess I should've known he would say something when he found out."

A pair of strong arms wrap around my waist. "You guys laughing at me?" said the deep voice I'd grown to love over the years.

I turned around and kissed David on the cheek.

"Nah, we were just talking about Trey and his big mouth" I answered, smiling up at him.

"My gossip senses are tingling! Who's talking about me?" Tremaine called from a few lockers down.

I rolled my eyes.

"I am! You have a problem with it tough guy?" I accused while keeping the smile on my face. I love to bother Tremaine, he's like the brother I never had.

Tremaine ran over and messed up my hair, laughing. "Ha, you're such a little punk."

I punched him on his arm playfully, and he held up his hands in surrender. "Who's the punk now?"

The bell rang and Trey jogged away, laughing. I pulled out my brush to fix my hair before running to class with Bianca and David.

-

In class, David and I pass notes like it was our job. Today was no different.

A paper came flying onto my desk as Mr. Long turned his head.

I unfolded it. Movies tonight?

I thought about it. I didn't remember having any plans today, so I wrote Sounds like fun, I just have to check with my mom first.

Folding up the paper, I flung it back on his desk. I watched him open the note, and then shake his head. I knew he was a little upset because I have to ask my mom's permission to do anything. David, on the other hand, gets to go wherever he wants, whenever he wants. Oh, how much better life would be if I had parents like that!

I was so into my thoughts that I almost didn't notice the paper land back on my desk. Opening the permanently crumpled paper, I read: Okay, but if she says no, YOU OWE ME.