The Note

"Who gave it to you?" You were at lunch talking with Chase to see if he knew anything about the note.

"I don't know" You admitted as you explained to him that you were in the bathroom when the anonymous person slipped it to you.

"Do you think it's a threat?" You asked him, you were unable to mask the paranoia.

Chase looked around and motioned him to follow you, so you did. He lead you to the back of the building and called someone, putting it on speaker phone.

"Yeah." The person on the other side answered.

"Hey, it's Chase. I have a favor to ask."

"What is it."

"So my friend received an encrypted note.. Can you-" Chase was interrupted by the unknown person. "Send it to me." The guy's tone seemed to be a bit aggressive, but honestly decoding the note was more important than how the guy was treating Chase. Your life could be in danger!

Chase took a picture of the paper with the coded message and sent it to the person.

"It's Hexadecimal-" The guy began after a while before you interrupted him. "Hexadecimal?" He sighed out of slight annoyance. "It's a numeral system like the binary code which consists of 0's and 1's. Obviously, unlike binary, it's a numeral system made up of 16 symbols. 0 through 9 and letters A, B, C, D, E, and F to represent 10 through 15. Alternatively they'll be lowercased.. Do you need a further explanation?"

You didn't really understand what he just said but you were wasting your time getting a lecture on hexadecimals. "No, I understand." You lied, trying to sound convincing as possible.

"Right." He sounded unconvinced. "Anyways, there's nothing to be afraid of. It's not a threat."

You let out a sigh of relief.

"What does it say?" Chase asked for you.

"What you see is a lie he loves another you not me." He revealed. "I don't care what your business is that made you get this letter, but I suspect they wrote it in code because their handwriting could give away who it is. Anything else?"

Chase glanced at you and you shook your head. "No, thank you." Chase replied. "Alright." Then the guy hung up.

What you see is a lie he loves another you not me...

"Do you know why you got this?" He asked as you made your way back to the general population. "Or know at least have an idea?"

You thought about Mark and the girl. "Ana suspects that Mark likes me.." You murmured, not knowing if it was a possible clue.

"A girl gave you this right?"

You nodded. "It could be a possible friend of his, and she probably knew how he felt about you and she didn't want you to think that she was his girlfriend." Chase assured you.

The more you pondered that, the more it made sense to you. "Alright," you agreed with him after a while.

"Thank you." "No problem!" He smiled softly at you, then added, "By the way, there's your boyfriend." Chase pointed behind you and looking back you saw Mark, but when you turned back around, Chase was gone. You let out a sigh of annoyance.

You don't like Mark! Why can't people understand that!

Besides he probably doesn't really like you anways... Despite all the things people are telling you...

You looked over at Mark who had a plastic bag. You watched as he pulled out a few packs of cigarettes and handed them to a guy. Was he the guy who beat him up?

The guy opened the pack, lit the cigarette and blew it into Mark's face that scrunched up in the cloud of smoke...

Well there's the explanation of why he smells of smoke.

The guy offer him a drag. Watching Mark take the Cigarette made your heart turn into stone. You couldn't bare to watch this anymore. You heard coughing in the distance, but you ignored it.

If he wants to ruin his body than let him. It's none of your business what he does with his life. If he wants to get sick and possibly die than so be it!