(13)

We walk for the rest of the day. Trying to look for food and a place to set up camp. Only one person died today, so that leaves us with 11 people left.

And I managed to stay alive this long how?

"Over here!" Rue yells in a whisper.

She points to tree with one big branch big enough for the both of us.

"Can you climb it?" She asks

"We have to try" I say

I then start to climb. It hurts, but I have to get to the top. And soon enough I do.

Rue pulls out the sleeping bag and rope from the back pack. We set it up and wait for the anthem to play.

After an hour of talking, the anthem plays and I see the District 3 male tribute.

It's already the second day and 13 people died. I don't know how this is possible.

"11 more to go" Rue says in a quiet whisper.

I nod my head and soon fall into a deep sleep.

****

"Prim, wake up. We have to go" I hear a small but intense voice. I open my eyes and see that Rue already has the sleeping bag and rope in the backpack.

"Let's go. We have to hurry" she says

"Wait why? What's going on?" I ask

"I went to find more water this morning and I saw the careers. They're looking for us" Rue says.

My eyes widen. Why would they be looking for 12 year old little girls?

"Okay, let's go" I say

But before she moves, she grabs my arm and adds "Peeta is allies with the careers"

"He can't be. He promised me he would keep me alive. Not kill me" I say

"I'm so sorry Prim" Rue says

"You didn't do anything. And I know that Peeta isn't going to hurt me, or you" I convince myself.

I am right. Peeta even said to me he will do anything to protect me. Especially now that he likes Katniss. Wait? What if Peeta was only saying that to get inside my head? What if he was only pretending so he could kill me later? I mean, he is with the careers.

"Prim, we have to go" Rue says, breaking my thoughts.

"Yeah, okay" I agree.

We then start running. We run away as far from the careers and Peeta as possible. I don't plan on dying.

****

"We need...t-to stop" I pant.

We've been running for hours and luckily the careers haven't gotten to us yet.

"Yeah....okay" Rue says

I then cringe in pain. My arm really hurts from the burn.

Rue seems to notice because she takes out the water bottle and pours some water on my burn.

"Thank you" I say.

"Of course" Rue says.

Then I hear what I've always been wanting to get. I hear a parachute.

"Prim! We have a sponsor!" Due exclaims.

We both run up to the parachute as soon as it reaches the ground.

"Its for me and you Rue!" I say

Its water from District 11 and something from Haymitch.

"Here, have some water" I say, handing Rue the bottle.

"What does the note say?" Rue asks.

"It says: water from District 11 and medicine. Apply lightly. ~H." I say

"Here" Rue says. She holds out my arm and applies the medicine to it.

It burns at first, but in the end I feel so much better.

"Thank you Rue" I say

"Your welcome Prim" she smiles.

5 seconds after Rue speaks, we hear a stick crack.

Rue and I give each other a glance. We're climbing the tree. We both stand up and climb as quickly and quietly as possible.

"Over there!" We hear someone shout.

I look down and see its the District 2 male. Cato.

Rue and I climb up farther and faster.

We continue to climb till the beaches can't hold us anymore.

I see more people show up.

District 2 female, Clove. District 1 male and female, Glimmer and Marvel. And Peeta.

"Look at that. We have two 12 year olds who are gonna die in these games. Less tributes to worry about right?" Cato laughs.

"You can't hurt us!" I yell down.

And I yelled because? I DON'T KNOW WHY?!

"Oh is that so? Well, we'll just have to find out I guess" Cato snickers.

He then starts to climb. Rue and I struggle to climb higher, but can't.

He can't reach us...can he?

"I'm coming for you" Cato yells.

From the other tributes, I hear "kill them Cato" and "shoot them"

And they want 12 year old little girls who are probably going to die on their own dead? Stupid.

Then, I hear a loud crash.

Cato fell. I hear Rue laughing a little and I join her.

"Let's just wait them out" I hear a voice say

"What?" Clove says

"Why don't we wait them out" that voice belongs to Peeta "they're going to die eventually in that tree if they sit up there all the time or if they come down, we'll just kill them then"

"Okay. Okay." Cato ponders "we'll wait. Someone make a fire"

Peeta glances me a look. I don't know if that look is good or bad. How can I tell?

"We're going to be okay" Rue coos.

I nod my head in agreement. I just hope she's right.