(17)

Authors Note: I'm a terrible author. I haven't updated in forever. I've been on my other wattpad account the whole time. If you want to keep in touch with me, follow that-awkward-nerd because that is my other account. I will try to finish this book for you guys because I've notice some of you have added this book to recommendation and I am so thankful. I thought this book was a bust so I never finished it. But i was wrong, I will update this book for you. ❤️

I stare into Rue's faded eyes. She's dying and I can't do anything to save her.

"Prim?" She asks

"Yes?" I answer, a tear falling from my eye.

"You have to win" She says.

You have to win. I can't Win. I'm a 12 year old little girl against careers and vicious tributes. I've surprised myself by making it this far.

"I dont know how" I tell her.

"Yes you do. Win for me, buttercup, your mother and Peeta" she says.

I forgot all about Peeta.

"Okay. I'll do it for you" I respond.

"Good"

There is a pause For a brief moment until Rue asks "Can you sing?"

I look at her,  thinking of a song to sing to her. To send her to a safe place.  Then i think of the song Katniss used to sing to me.

"Okay" I say

I feel her take a breath before I start "Deep in the meadow, under the Willow. A bed of grass, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head, and close your eyes .When they open. the sun will rise" BOOM!

I notice Rue look up into the shining blue sky and I can feel her shake under my lap. Her eyes begin to close and I know she is dying. I worked with my mother on nursing stuff, and I've seen one person die before.

He did the exact same.

He was shot by a peacekeeper. All he wanted was bread. Katniss and Gale saw him and brought him right to mother. She did all she could in the time he was alive. But it was too late. He looked uo at the ceiling and slowly clised his eyes. After that, my mother stopped treating him and I knew then he was dead. That night I had hoped I'd never see someone die again but I was wrong.

"You're in a better place now Rue." I whisper, even though I known she can't hear me. I give her a kiss on the forehead a while away my tears.

You can't stay here Prim. You have to leave. The voice in my head argues with my heart.

My heary wants to keep Rue safe from all the insects and animals and possibly other tributes. But my head says I have to leave. I'm out in the open and this isn't safe.

But I'm a 'listen to your heart' kid so stay with Rue.

Passing this place, I noticed a feild of flowers. I trace my steps and pick flowers. I run back to Rue and place them by her side. I repeat this process until I'm satisfied.

"You must be cold" I whisper, after I'm finished with the flowers.

I look inside Rue's bag and I take out the sleeping bag that was left in there.

"Dont worry about me. I'll use a powerplant leaf to keep me warm tonight."

The rest of the day was full of sitting and taking care of Rue.

Now its night and my eyes start to get heavy.

Then the anthem plays and Marvel and Rue both show up in the sky. Another tear flows down my eye and I  put my attention back on Rue.

"Goodnight" I whisper. Then I climb into a nearby tree and look at Rue Until my eyes give out and I fall into a deep sleep.